This recipe for creamy vegan tomato soup using canned or fresh tomatoes is perfect for lunch or dinner. It is easy to make and enjoy with a quesadilla, grilled cheese, or salad.
About this recipe
I can’t believe I didn’t like soups growing up. Now, I am obsessed with them and am always looking for new ways to make them easier, better, and unique.
This delicious creamy vegan tomato soup is made with a few ingredients, but they are packed with flavor. The tomatoes are carefully selected for their freshness and sweetness, while the almonds add a smooth and velvety texture. And the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, that smokey and special touch that only they can.
What does it taste like?
- Smokey & spicy. Chipotle adds a smoky flavor to your dish, and you can customize the level of spiciness to your preference.
- Tomato-y. It has a rich, savory tomato flavor that keeps you coming back for more.
- Flavor combination. One can add various toppings to customize the flavor profile. Homemade bread, tortillas, fresh herbs, or vegan pesto can be finishing touches.
Ingredients to make the creamy vegan tomato soup
👉You can make this delicious tomato cream recipe using fresh, canned, tetra pack, or homemade tomato sauce. The only difference is the cooking time, which is a bit longer when using fresh tomatoes. If you ask my opinion, I prefer using canned tomatoes for this recipe.
👉The soup gets its creamy and thick texture from almonds. Besides being a source of vitamins and minerals, it also contains the superpowers of almonds.
👉 Pureed chipotle in adobo sauce is best, but you can substitute ancho chili or chipotle chili powder if needed.
👉Onion, garlic, oregano.
Make creamy vegan tomato soup step-by-step
Start by chopping the onion and garlic. Sauté them in olive oil until they’re fragrant, about 3 minutes. Next, add the tomato, water, or vegetable broth to the pot.
Add about a teaspoon (or more) of chipotle peppers before blending. Add as much or as little as you want and let all simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Then, use an immersion blender to blend the mixture together until smooth. Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning as needed. That’s it! This recipe is quick, easy, and oh-so-tasty.
The soup is effortless to put together, and you can pair it with various sides like avocado toast, avocado tacos, grilled cheese (vegan cheese preferred), or roasted chickpeas.
tips for making the best vegan tomato soup
- For this vegan tomato soup, I used slivered almonds. Use any nuts available.
- Instead of cashews, almonds can be easily interchanged for creaminess in tomato soup. Creaminess to the tomato soup.
Every time I open a can of smoky chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, I blend the peppers and sauce together into a rich, spicy paste. I store this in a glass container, n the fridge. But that's just the beginning! This homemade chipotle paste is a culinary multitasker. Use it to elevate your salad dressings to zesty new heights, stir it into sauces for an unexpected kick, mix it into soups for added depth, or even blend it into mayo for a smoky, spicy twist. It's the little secret that makes a big difference in the kitchen!
How to store the vegan tomato soup
This creamy vegan tomato soup will last up to 5 days in the fridge in a tightly closed container. Reheat in the microwave or stovetop.
If you’re a fan of vegan spicy, creamy tomato soup, you’ll be excited to know that there are plenty of delicious toppings that can take your soup to the next level.
Bread. One great option is to serve your soup with a side of crusty bread. The crunchiness of the bread pairs beautifully with the smooth and creamy texture of the soup. You can choose a variety of bread, such as baguette, sourdough, or even garlic bread, depending on your preference. Simply toast or warm the bread before serving; you’ll have the perfect companion for your spicy, creamy tomato soup.
Protein. If you’re in the mood for something more substantial, consider adding a protein-rich accompaniment to your soup. Some options include tofu, chickpeas, or even vegan sausage.
Salad. A simple green salad with a tangy vinaigrette dressing can provide a refreshing contrast to the rich and spicy flavors of the soup. The combination of the soup and the salad will create a well-balanced and satisfying meal.
Heat. If you’re looking to add some heat to your soup, consider topping it with some sliced jalapenos, chili flakes or crunchy chili oil. These spicy additions will give your soup an extra kick and add a burst of flavor.
Garnishes. Sprinkling some vegan cheese, nutritional yeast, or even a dollop of vegan sour cream on top of your soup can take it to a whole new level. These creamy and cheesy toppings will add richness and depth of flavor to your already delicious soup.
Frequently Asked Questions About Dairy-Free Soups and Vegan Substitutes
Other vegan soups you may like
- Lentil Soup
- Tortilla soup
- Caldo de pollo, Vegan Mexican Chicken Soup
- Black Bean Pozole
- Vegetable and pasta soup
- Calabacitas soup
- Sopa de Milpa, Mexican vegetables soup
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
Spicy Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup
- Immersion blender
- Soup pot
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 3 ½ cups canned or fresh chopped tomatoes (28 oz can)
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile in adobo
- Add the olive oil and onion over medium heat in a pot with a lid. When the onions are translucent, add the garlic and salt.
- Do not let it burn or brown, the onions or garlic must be translucent. Leave them for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the oregano and cook for 20-30 seconds, until the oregano releases its smell. Add the almonds, tomatoes, water and low the heat.
- When it starts to simmer add the chipotle pepper, turn the heat off and blend or use an immersion blender to puree it. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Serve and finish with diced avocado and tortilla chips.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.