This recipe for spicy creamy vegan tomato using canned tomatoes is the perfect creamy, vegan, spicy tomato soup. It is easy and perfect for lunch or dinner. Eat with a quesadilla, grilled cheese, or salad.
I can’t believe I didn’t like soups growing up. Now, I am obsessed with them and am always looking for new ways to make them easier, better, and unique.
This creamy vegan tomato soup is made with few ingredients but flavorful ones.
What does it taste like?
- Smokey & spicy. Chipotle gives it a smoky flavor, and the best thing is that you can add the amount you want. If you like it spicy, you add a lot, if not a little, to give it flavor.
- Tomato-y. It tastes like a tomato dish, but with a rich tomato flavor, not sour tomato or sweet tomato sauce. It is the perfect umami, tomato flavor that you want to keep eating.
- Flavor combination. Give it any flavor profile you want by adding different toppings. You can finish it with homemade bread, tortillas, fresh herbs, or vegan pesto.
Ingredients to make the creamy vegan tomato soup
👉This tomato cream can be made with natural tomato or canned, tetra pack tomato, or homemade tomato sauce. It tastes good with any tomato; the only thing that changes are the cooking times. With natural tomatoes, it takes a little longer. I do prefer to make it with canned tomates.
👉The secret ingredient that makes this soup super creamy and a little thick and heavy is ALMONDS (affiliate link). Yes, besides having all the vitamins, minerals, and good things of tomato, it also has almonds (affiliate link)‘ superpowers.
👉 Chipotle chili in adobo sauce, but you can substitute ancho chili or chipotle chili powder if you don’t have it.
👉Onion, garlic, oregano.
How to make creamy vegan tomato soup?
Sauté the onion and garlic in a little olive oil. You put the tomato, water, or vegetable broth (affiliate link). Add the chipotle peppers before blending, and add more if you like spicy food. Just a little to give it that delicious smoky flavor or more if you wanted it to be spicy. Blend with an immersion blender (affiliate link). Taste and serve. Yes, it is that easy.
I bet you are getting the idea of how easy and fast it is to make a delicious healthy meal, right? This soup comes together quickly, and you can serve it with avocado toast, avocado tacos, grilled cheese (I use vegan cheese), roasted chickpeas…
tips for making the best vegan tomato soup
- For this creamy, vegan tomato soup, I used slivered almonds. Use what you have on hand.
- Almond can be easily interchanged with cashews (affiliate link). The nuts are the magic ingredient that gives creaminess to the tomato soup.
- Here are other soups with a Mexican twist: creamy vegan mushroom soups, Mexican vegetable soups, lentil soup, vegan posole, Mexican chicken soup.
Whenever I open a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, I blend the chipotle peppers with the sauce to make a "paste." I store this paste in a glass container in the fridge. With this paste, you can make salad dressings, or add it to sauces, other soups, mayo, etc.
How to store the vegan tomato soup
This creamy vegan tomato soup will last up to 5 days in the fridge in a tightly closed container. Reheat in the microwave or stovetop.
So here is the recipe for this vegan creamy tomato soup with chile chipotle and I hope you like it. Finish this soup with avocado and corn tortilla strips or chips for some extra texture on top.
When you make this recipe post it on Instagram or FB, I love to see all of your unique creations. Or, if you are planning on making this soup, later on, save it on Pinterest. It would also be fantastic and super helpful to leave a comment and/or rating of this recipe in the comment section. Please feel free to write suggestions, ideas, or how it went when you made the recipe.
Spicy Creamy vegan tomato soup
- Immersion blender
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 3 ½ cups canned or fresh chopped tomatoes (28 oz can)
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile in adobo
- Add the olive oil and onion over medium heat in a pot with a lid. When the onions are translucent, add the garlic and salt.
- Do not let it burn or brown, the onions or garlic must be translucent. Leave them for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the oregano and almonds, leave for 2-3 minutes, until the oregano releases its smell.
- Add the tomatoes, water and low the heat.
- When water starts boiling add the chipotle pepper, turn the heat off and blend or use an immersion blender to puree it. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Serve and finish with diced avocado and tortilla chips.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
What you need
- the best, best prosecco mimosa - April 1, 2023
- Roastedtomatillo chipotle salsa - March 31, 2023
- Coconut Mango Chia Seed Pudding Recipe (Easy, Delicious, And Vegan) - March 31, 2023
Looks great! I love the combination of chipotle and tomato
Recipe worked in the vita mixer- easy and delicious.
I used cashews vs almonds.