This tomatillo and chipotle salsa is the perfect sauce for those days when you need an easy, delicious, and perfect Mexican salsa.
About this recipe
The Mexican chipotle tomatillo salsa is a delicious combination of spicy and smoky flavors typical of Mexican cuisine. With its acidic and slightly sweet taste, the tomatillo blends perfectly with the spiciness and smokiness of the chipotle peppers in adobo.
This salsa is perfect for serving with tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas, and many other typical Mexican dishes.
Ingredients for the salsa
- Tomatillos, peeled and washed.
- Chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, using canned chipotle chiles is the easiest way to make this.
- Garlic, the garlic should be roasted with the skin on to prevent it from burning. Burnt garlic tastes bitter and is not very delicious.
How to make tomatillo and chipotle sauce
Roast the garlic and tomatillos on a skillet or comal (affiliate link) until they are well roasted and change color. The tomatillos should be almost burnt, soft, and have a light green color. The garlic cloves should also be well-roasted.
Blend the roasted garlic and tomatillos with a good pinch of salt. Add one or two canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce to the blender, and blend again until you have a smooth and well-combined Mexican salsa.
That’s it! This roasted tomatillo, and chipotle sauce is so easy to make, and it’s perfect for serving your favorite Mexican dishes.
Make it your own
Some options could be adding more chipotle chiles to make it spicier. Add diced avocado for a creamier texture. You can also add a splash of lemon or vinegar to give it a tangy touch that complements the flavors of the sauce.
Ideas for serving tomatillo chipotle salsa
One of the most common ways to enjoy salsa is with tacos, burritos, enchiladas, quesadillas, and other typical Mexican dishes.
But I have to confess that my favorite way of eating this salsa is with homemade tortilla chips (affiliate link) and a cold Chelada. This chipotle and tomatillo salsa makes the perfect snack.
Other Mexican salsas
- Salsa verde, an authentic recipe
- Salsa verde, two ways
- Enchilada sauce, the best sauce
- Salsa molcajeteada
- 2-ingredient Mexican Salsa
- Creamy avocado salsa verde
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow me on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
Roasted Tomatillo Chipotle Salsa
- Skillet or comal
- 2 garlic cloves
- 5 tomatillos
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt ½ teaspoon if using less
- 1 canned chipotle chili in adobo or more to taste
- Roast the tomatillos and garlic (unpeeled) on a skillet or comal until they are well cooked. They should be soft and almost burnt.
- Put the peeled tomatillos and garlic in a blender, and add one or two chipotle chilies.
- Blend everything and taste. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
Store the sauce in a well-sealed glass jar in the refrigerator. It will last for up to three weeks.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- Celery Juice: Discover its Properties and Benefits - May 29, 2023
- Healthy Potato Salad with Pesto Recipe | Easy and Flavorful - May 28, 2023
- QUINOA STUFFED POBLANO PEPPERS, CHILES RELLENOS - May 26, 2023