I’m excited for you to try the fantastic Vegan Sausage Gnocchi Soup! Nothing beats the comforting feeling of a hot bowl of soup, especially one that’s as flavorful and delicious as this. And if you thought comfort food couldn’t be both plant-based and delicious, think again!
About this recipe
This delightful soup combines all the elements of comfort with the goodness of a plant-based lifestyle. Made with rich, creamy vegan sausage and pillowy gnocchi, this soup takes comfort to a whole new level.
It’s the perfect dish to cozy up with on cold winter nights or to nourish yourself when you need a little pick-me-up. But what makes this soup so incredibly irresistible?
The secret lies in the combination of flavors and textures that dance harmoniously in each spoonful. The creamy vegan sausage adds a depth of umami, while the tender gnocchi provides a satisfying chewiness. Together, they create a symphony of taste that will have you coming back for seconds, thirds, and maybe even fourths.
Vegan Sausage Gnocchi Soup Ingredients
The star of this soup is, of course, the vegan sausage. Made from plant-based ingredients, it offers a rich and savory taste that mimics traditional sausage without any animal products. The combination of herbs and spices gives it a deliciously complex flavor profile that pairs perfectly with the other ingredients in this soup.
Next up, we have the pillowy gnocchi. These little dumplings are made from potatoes and flour, resulting in a soft and chewy texture that adds depth to every spoonful. They soak up all the flavors from the broth, making each bite a burst of deliciousness.
Speaking of broth, this soup has a creamy base that is both comforting and satisfying. Made with white wine, vegetable stock, and non-dairy milk, it has a velvety texture and mild flavor for all the other ingredients to shine. If you wish, you can also add grated cheese, which makes it even more creamy. I do.
But before all, we make a sofrito with onion, carrot, and celery. I also add garlic, which adds an aromatic touch that enhances the overall taste.
The vegetables add some color and nutrition to this already fantastic soup. Carrots bring sweetness, while celery adds a refreshing crunch. I like to add a bit of flour to the mix to thicken the soup.
How to Make the Vegan Sausage Gnocchi Soup
To start off, gather all your ingredients: vegan sausage links, gnocchi, vegetable stock, non-dairy milk, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, white wine, and a few basic pantry staples like flour, olive oil and seasonings.
Begin by sautéing the vegan sausage in a large pot with some olive oil until it’s nicely browned. This step helps to enhance the flavors of the sausage and adds a bit of caramelization. Once done, remove the sausage from the pot and set it aside. If you wish, you can pan-fry the gnocchi, totally optional.
In the same pot, add some more olive oil and sauté the sofrito for 4-5 minutes and garlic until it becomes fragrant. Then add the flour and cook for 30 to 45 seconds.
Deglaze the pan with the white wine. Get all the little pieces on the pot; those are so flavorful. Next, slowly pour in the vegetable stock and mix to dissolve the flour; add the plant-based milk. Reduce the heat to a simmer and add in the gnocchi. Let it cook for a few minutes until it becomes tender.
Now, it’s time to bring everything together. Add in your non-dairy milk of choice along with the cooked vegan sausage. Stir well to combine all the flavors.
Cook for another couple of minutes until everything is heated through and well incorporated—season with salt, pepper, or any other herbs you prefer.
Tips for Enhancing the Flavor
If you want to take your Vegan Sausage Gnocchi Soup to new heights of flavor, here are some tips:
- Add more vegetables, like zucchini, corn, or peas.
- Garnish with fresh herbs like parsley or basil for added freshness.
- For a spicier kick, add some red pepper flakes or a dash of hot sauce.
- If you don’t like Italian sausage, don’t add it; make this soup to your own liking
This Vegan Sausage Gnocchi Soup is a complete meal on its own, but you can always pair it with some crusty bread or a side salad for a more substantial feast. It’s perfect for lunch or dinner and makes excellent leftovers for the next day.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
If you happen to have any leftovers (which is rare because it’s so delicious!), you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. When ready to enjoy again, simply reheat on the stovetop over low heat until warmed through. You may need to add a splash of vegetable stock or non-dairy milk to bring back the desired consistency.
Variations and Substitutions
The beauty of this Vegan Sausage Gnocchi Soup is that it’s incredibly versatile. Here are some variations and substitutions you can try:
- Swap out the vegan sausage for plant-based meat alternatives like tempeh or tofu.
- Use different types of gnocchi, such as sweet potato or spinach-flavored.
- Add other vegetables like mushrooms, zucchini, or bell peppers for extra variety.
- Experiment with different herbs and spices to customize the flavor profile to your liking.
- Add greens like spinach or kale
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
Creamy Vegan Sausage Gnocchi Soup
- Soup pot
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 oz Italian sausage casings removed and crumbled
- 1 pound potato gnocchi
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 carrots sliced
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup white wine
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup plant-based milk
- 2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning optional
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Begin by sautéing the vegan sausage in a large pot with olive oil until it's nicely browned. Once done, remove the sausage from the pot and set it aside. If you wish, you can pan-fry the gnocchi, totally optional.
- In the same pot, add some more olive oil and sauté the sofrito for 4-5 minutes and garlic until it becomes fragrant. Then add the flour and cook for 30 to 45 seconds.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine. Get all the little pieces on the pot; those are so flavorful. Next, slowly pour in the vegetable stock and mix to dissolve the flour; add the plant-based milk. Reduce the heat to a simmer and add in the gnocchi. Let it cook for a few minutes until it becomes tender.
- Now, it's time to bring everything together. Add in your non-dairy milk of choice along with the cooked vegan sausage. Stir well to combine all the flavors.Add the grated cheese if using.
- Cook for another couple of minutes until everything is heated through and well incorporated—season with salt, pepper, or any other herbs you prefer.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.