This soup is one of the soups that you try and it makes you feel good. It’s super easy to make, packed with veggies, and served with cheese and corn chips. This calabacitas, corn, and tomato soup is a vegan Mexican soup, and soon it will be your favorite.
What are calabacitas?
Calabacita means little squash, and some people know it as Mexican squash. Calabacitas are mild in flavor and vary from baby to large. They have pale green and thin skin. They have somewhat the same form as zucchini but they are a bit sweeter in taste. Feel free to substitute with zucchini if you do not find calabacitas.
ABOUT THE calabacita, CORN AND TOMATO SOUP
In Mexico, the combination of zucchini and corn is one of the most common vegetable combinations you can imagine. We find this combination in stews to make tacos, in meat stews, salads, and in many of the typical Mexican antojitos.
This calabacita, corn, and tomato soup is a classic soup in all Mexican families. It is the typical recipe that is passed from generation to generation and that many times does not have a formal recipe. Each family has its version and they all taste delicious.
Calabacitas VEGAN MEXICAN SOUP INGREDIENTS
- Calabacitas , without problem you can substitute them for zucchini or yellow summer squash. But the authentic Mexican recipe calls for calabacitas.
- Corn , you can use frozen corn or fresh corn. If you get your hands on white corn or shoepeg corn, it is better, since they’re not as sweet as yellow corn.
- Tomato or tomato puree. Use ripe and flavorful tomatoes, in Mexico we use Roma.
- Garlic and onion
- Vegetable broth (affiliate link) or water
- Vegetable milk , can be oat milk or almond milk or even rice milk.
- Herbs, fresh cilantro and dried Mexican oregano.
- To serve :
- Corn chips
- Melty cheese, I use vegan cheese. You can use the brand Miyokos, Violife or Daiya.
HOW TO MAKE calabacitas, Elote (CORN) and tomato SOUP?
In this video that I put on Instagram, I show you how to make this vegan soup step by step. Start by sautéing the onion in a stockpot or a 5qt dutch oven over medium heat with a little oil and a pinch of salt, then add the minced garlic, sauté for a few more minutes and add the tomato.
When the tomato begins to change color and begins to fall apart, it is time to add the water or vegetable broth (affiliate link), the calabacitas (zucchini), the corn, and the herbs. Add a pinch of salt again, cover, and let the vegetables cook. It will be ready very quickly, it is another of the wonders of this soup.
When the zucchini is cooked, but still hold their shape, add the milk and turn the heat off. It is better if the calabacitas are al dente than overcooked, you want this soup to still be beautiful.
💡 Season by layers 💡 In cooking school, one of my teachers always told us, "season in layers". And yes, it really is different if we add salt little by little than if we put all the salt at the end. The general idea is that salt brings out the flavor of the ingredients and if we add a pinch of salt to our dish every time we add an ingredient, the end result will be spectacular.
HOW TO SERVE MEXICAN ZUCCHINI SOUP
The way to serve the soup is in a soup bowl. First, serve a ladle or two of boiling hot soup. Serve about half of the bowl, then add a handful of corn chips, the grated cheese, and at the end finish with a then I put in one last ladle.
When you put that last ladle in and the soup is hot, the cheese will melt and you will have the perfect vegan Mexican soup.
Other recipes that you may like:
Zucchini, corn and tomato soup
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 diced tomatoes
- 4 calabacitas or zucchini diced
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 4 cups vegetable broth or water
- 3 sprigs of cilantro
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup vegetable milk
- grated cheese, I use vegan
- corn chips
- Start by sautéing the onion in a stockpot with the oil and a pinch of salt, then add the minced garlic, sauté for 1-2 more minutes and add the tomato.
- When the tomato begins to change in color and begins to fall apart, it is time to add the water or vegetable broth, the zucchini, the corn and the herbs. Add a pinch of salt again, cover and let the vegetables cook.
- When the calabacitas are cooked, turn off the heat and add the milk. Check the seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- To serve, fill a bowl halfway, then add the corn chips, grated cheese, and finish with another ladle of soup to melt the cheese.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- the best, best prosecco mimosa - April 1, 2023
- Roastedtomatillo chipotle salsa - March 31, 2023
- Coconut Mango Chia Seed Pudding Recipe (Easy, Delicious, And Vegan) - March 31, 2023