This vegan mayo recipe is made with aquafaba and is creamy, delicious, and perfect to use instead of traditional mayonnaise. With it, you can make any aioli, salad dressings, potato salad, top burgers, or anything that calls for mayonnaise. The great benefit is that it is an egg-free mayo and very quick to make.
What is aquafaba?
So, aquafaba is the liquid in a can of chickpeas or the liquid in the pot after your chickpeas are cooked. It could be the liquid of any cooked bean, but it happens to be that the liquid of chickpeas got famous.
Here is an excellent article in Bon Appétit that talks about it. So, please do not throw this liquid gold ever again. You can make so many things with aquafaba.
Where to find aquafaba? When you cook chickpeas, store the liquid in the pot in a tightly closed jar in the refrigerator. Or, when you open a can of chickpeas, drain the liquid and store it in the fridge.
Why does aquafaba work in vegan mayonnaise? This magical and vegan liquid left in the can of chickpeas has properties very similar to eggs. The proteins in this viscous liquid make it foam, fluff, and work wonders like egg whites and yolks.
Here is an easy formula to substitue eggs with aquafaba: ・WHOLE EGG: 3 tablespoons of aquafaba ・YOLK: 1 tablespoons of aquafaba ・WHITES: 2 tablespoons of aquafaba
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE vegan AQUAFABA MAYO
- Aquafaba at room temperature. Use the aquafaba from a can or legumes you cooked at home.
- Lemon juice, you can use lime juice or lemon juice; both work great here.
- Rice vinegar or any mild-flavored vinegar such as white wine or champagne. You could also use apple cider vinegar or white vinegar if you want that acid punch they give.
- Dijon mustard, you can substitute it with mustard powder.
- Olive oil, the one you have at home, if it has a mild flavor, it is best.
- Vegetable oil I use avocado oil, but any other with a neutral flavor vegetable oil works well here.
- A pinch of salt, kosher salt, or sea salt is perfect.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN MAYONNAISE IN THE BLENDER?
- Put the aquafaba in the blender and turn on medium speed. Let the aquafaba foam up.
- Add the lemon juice, mustard, and rice vinegar and continue mixing in the blender at medium speed until all the ingredients are integrated.
- Lower the blender’s speed and add the oil until the mayonnaise is formed in a constant but skinny stream.
HOW TO MAKE AQUAFABA MAYONNAISE WITH An immersion blender?
- Add all the ingredients except the oil to a large jar, bowl, or tall glass with the immersion blender.
- Mix until perfectly well integrated.
- Add the oil slowly on a steady stream with the immersion blender on until it is incorporated and the mixture feels thicker. If you need to move the robot up and down to get a little air, do so to make the consistency thicker.
Add FLAVOR to the VEGAN MAYONNAISE
- Blend it with basil and use it to make sandwiches or to serve some zucchini fritters.
- Or you can mix it with pesto, and you have a delicious pesto mayo for a pasta salad.
- Add chipotle and finish roasted cauliflower tacos with a crunchy salad that tastes amazing.
- Or you can add cumin and lemon and turn it into a cream to finish an enfrijoladas or other Mexican dish.
- Or add fresh garlic and more lemon juice to make a fake aioli and finish with roasted vegetables.
- Use your vegan mayo in all the recipes; regular mayonnaise is needed.
How to store vegan mayo
Store in the fridge in a mason jar or any other tightly closed container. It will last up to three weeks in the refrigerator, and no mayo is not freezable.
Which store-bought vegan mayo do I like?
Other recipes that you may like:
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
- ½ cup aquafaba room temperature
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon dijon
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ¾ cup vegetable oil I use avocado
- pinch salt
- Put the aquafaba in the blender and turn it on medium speed. Let the aquafaba fluff.
- Add the lemon juice, mustard, and rice vinegar and continue mixing.
- Lower the speed of the blender and in a constant but thin stream, add the oil until the mayonnaise forms.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.