Vegan eggs are plant-based alternatives to traditional eggs made from ingredients such as tofu, chickpea flour, or mung bean protein. They can be used in various dishes, such as scrambles, omelets, and baked goods.
Best egg substitutions
- Mashed bananas or applesauce are a perfect egg substitution for baking recipes. In my simple vegan banana bread recipe, I use both.
- Silken tofu can be blended and used as an egg replacement in savory dishes like quiches or sweet dishes like custards or mousses, as I did in my chocolate mousse recipe.
- Chia or flax seeds (as I did in my perfect brownies recipe) mixed with water can also be used as an egg replacement in baking recipes.
- Commercial egg replacers are also available, typically made from a blend of starches and proteins, which can work well in baking recipes.
- For binding in a vegan meatloaf or meatball recipe, legumes, bread crumbs, ground nuts, seeds, or rolled oats can be used as an egg substitute.
- Aquafaba: The liquid from a can of chickpeas can be whipped to create an egg white replacement. I used aquafaba in my Pavlova.
The best plant-based eggs: our top picks
Eating a plant-based diet doesn’t mean you need to miss out on foods like eggs. But if you want to use egg substitutes, how do you know which ones are vegan? Let’s find out.
Some popular vegan egg brands include: Just Egg, Follow Your Heart, and The Vegg. These products are often fortified with vitamins and minerals and are cholesterol-free. They are widely available in natural food stores and some grocery stores.
Best ways to follow an Egg-Free diet
1. Check food labels: Pay close attention to the labels when shopping for food. Many processed foods contain egg proteins.
2. Look for egg substitutes: Many are available on the market.
4. Avoid cross-contamination: Avoid cross-contamination when preparing and eating food. Be sure to thoroughly wash your hands, utensils, and surfaces to prevent accidental egg ingestion.
6. Ask questions: When eating out or ordering take-out, ask questions about ingredients and how your meal was prepared.