This vegan Mexican tofu (affiliate link) scramble recipe is inspired by the typical Mexican breakfast Mexican-style scrambled eggs. These tacos are filled with tofu (affiliate link) cooked with tomato, onion, cilantro, and chile serrano.
My thoughts about breakfast
No one should ever leave their home without eating breakfast. Breakfast tells our body how we want to feel and how we want our day to be: filled with good energy or sluggish and boring. Yes, breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and with this recipe of Mexican tofu scramble breakfast tacos, I’m sure you’ll never skip breakfast again.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE MEXICAN TOFU
- Onion, chopped or sliced â€‹â€‹onion. If you don’t have time to chop it, you can use dehydrated onion.
- Garlic, garlic is optional. There are times when I use it and sometimes not. But if it gives it a very rich and special touch to the scramble.
- Chopped tomato, it can also be canned tomato or tomato chopped in the food processor (affiliate link). The only thing you have to be careful of is that if the tomato has a lot of liquid it may take longer to dry the tofu. But it will still be delicious.
- Chile, serrano chile, chile the Ã¡rbol, or jalapeÃ±o pepper. The one you have or the one you like the most.
- Chopped cilantro, remember not to throw the stems away, they have a lot of flavor and are totally edible.
- Firm or extra firm tofu, it is important that it is firm so that it crumbles easily. It is also important to remove the liquid from the tofu, you can put it between two paper towels and weight on top or use a tofu press (affiliate link).
- Vegetable oil.
- Corn tortillas to make the tacos. If you pregfer, you could also make burritos with flour tortillas and refried beans.
How to prepare mexican scrambled tofu
- Prepare the tofu, it is important to remove the liquid and crumble it. If you want a firmer texture, you can freeze the tofu first and then defrost, drain and crumble.
- While the tofu is draining, chop up the veggies.
- In a hot skillet add a tablespoon of oil, the tofu and the onion. Allow all the liquid to evaporate. Add the rest of the ingredients. Season with salt and taste. Adjust the flavor until it is delicious. Leave until the tofu is loose and golden.
- Heat the tortillas and prepare the tacos. Serve with salsa verde, raw salsa verde, or creamy jalapeÃ±o salsa.
TIPS AND IDEAS FOR COOKING WITH TOFU
Tofu is wonderful and you can use it in many ways. You can blend it and make dressings or you can bake it and it is perfect and delicious. Here are some tips to use the best for this Mexican tofu.
- Look for firm tofu, which is in the refrigerated section of the supermarket.
- Silken tofu is not suitable for this recipe. This type of tofu is used for desserts and dressings.
- Tofu is like a sponge that has no flavor, the tofu absorbs the flavor of whatever you add to it.
- Look for organic tofu or sprouted soybeans. This increases the nutritional value in a significant way.
Other recipes that you may like:
So here is the recipe for these fantastic Mexican-style tofu scramble breakfast tacos that you could also eat for lunch or even dinner. I hope that you like it as much as we do and please, if you make it, let me see it!! Post a picture of your tacos on Instagram, Fb or save it for later on Instagram.
Mexican tofu scramble breakfast tacos
- 1 teaspoon of neutral flavor oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 14 oz pack of a firm or extra firm tofu
- 1 garlic clove optional
- 3/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1 chile serrano roughly chopped
- a handful of chopped cilantro
- 12 corn tortillas to serve
- Remove the tofu from the package and drain all the liquid. Crumble it in a bowl and squeeze to remove the remaining liquid.
- In a pan add a teaspoon of oil and sauté onion and tofu.
- pepperWhen the onion is soft, about 5-7 minutes add the garlic if using, serrano chili, the chopped tomato and a pinch of salt. Leave it for about 5-7 minutes to let the flavors integrate.
- Heat tortillas on a skillet until soft and form the tacos.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
This recipe appeared first in Ale Cooks in 2013.
- Celery Juice: Discover its Properties and Benefits - May 29, 2023
- Healthy Potato Salad with Pesto Recipe | Easy and Flavorful - May 28, 2023
- QUINOA STUFFED POBLANO PEPPERS, CHILES RELLENOS - May 26, 2023