Are you a fan of Chinese cuisine? If so, you must have come across the mouth-watering crispy orange tofu dish that is often featured on many restaurant menus. This oriental dish is also prepared with chicken or meat, but we have a vegan recipe that is just as delicious and incredibly easy to prepare. Don’t miss out on the opportunity to try my recipe for orange tofu today!
Perfect tofu recipe for everyone
This tofu recipe is a favorite in my household and consists of a firm or extra firm tofu cut into cubes and baked until crispy. Then bathed with a sweet-spicy and delicious oriental sauce. I finished it with sesame seeds and sliced scallions.
This orange tofu can be served over brown rice, white rice, or on top of rice noodles.
Ingredients for crispy orange tofu
- Crispy tofu. You can make this tofu in the oven or the air fryer. Either way, you must squeeze the tofu very well and put a layer of cornstarch or tapioca flour on it. You put it in the oven or air fryer, and that’s it.
- Oriental chili paste or Sriracha sauce.
- Orange marmalade. Find the jam you like the most, I like to use homemade or artisanal. If you don’t like orange marmalade, you can use apricot or peach.
- Oil. Use vegetable oil, whichever you like the most, I usually use avocado oil.
- Garlic and ginger. Chopped as small as you can.
- Soy sauce or tamari sauce. With either of the two, it looks good. If you use coconut aminos, adjust the seasoning with salt.
🔥TIP If the sauce is too thick you can add water to make it a little thinner. On the other hand, if the sauce was very watery, you can add a teaspoon of cornstarch to thicken it.
How to make this dish?
- The first thing is to make crispy tofu; this post shows my step-by-step method. While the tofu is cooking, you can start making the sauce and cooking the rice ( I like brown rice).
- Add the oil to a pan and garlic and ginger to make the sauce. When they release their aroma, add the rest of the ingredients. Leave for 5-10 minutes on low heat until the sauce thickens.
- Add the crispy tofu and top with the spicy, sweet, and delicious orange sauce.
Tips & Tricks
- You can substitute crispy tofu with browned or add a fresh package to the sauce. If you’re making it with roasted tofu, add the tofu along with the garlic and ginger. If you make it with tofu fresh from the package, add it when the sauce is done.
- Use firm or extra firm tofu; do not use the tofu packaged in a tetra pack, which works best in other recipes.
- Finish with mint, chives, coriander, or the fresh herb you like the most.
Other recipes that you may like:
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
Crispy orange tofu
- 1 14- 0z firm or extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2½ teaspoons minced garlic
- 2½ teaspoons minced ginger
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- ¼ cup soy
- 1 teaspoon oriental chili paste or Sriracha sauce
- rice or noodles
- scallions chopped
- Sesame seeds
- Make the crispy tofu.
- To make the sauce, put the oil in a pan and add the garlic and ginger. When they release their aroma add the rest of the ingredients. Leave for 5-10 minutes on low heat until thick. Add the crispy tofu and top with the spicy, sweet and delicious orange sauce.
- Serve on top of rice or noodles and finish with chopped chives and sesame.
1 teaspoon tapioca or cornstarch if too runny
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.