If you are looking for the best way to cook brown rice, look no further! This guide will show you how to cook brown rice perfectly every time. Brown rice is a healthy and delicious whole grain that can be enjoyed as a side dish or used in various recipes.
It is packed with nutrients and has a nutty flavor that is delicious when cooked correctly. The key to cooking perfect brown rice is to use the right ratio of water to rice and to cook it on low heat until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender.
Follow these simple steps, and you will enjoy delicious brown rice in no time!
About this post
This is the most delicious way I’ve found to make brown rice, so everyone at home likes it. You can use this method with brown rice such as whole-grain Basmati, brown Jasmine rice, or other grains. Basmati and Jasmin rice are more aromatic and flavorful than regular long-grain brown rice.
Benefits of brown rice
- Brown rice is a whole grain, and as such, it is packed with fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- Brown rice has a lower glycemic index than white rice, meaning it causes a slower, steadier rise in blood sugar levels. This is beneficial for both diabetics and those trying to lose weight.
- Brown rice is a good source of magnesium, an important mineral for many bodily functions, including muscle and nerve function, blood sugar control, and blood pressure regulation.
- Brown rice is a good source of selenium, an important mineral for thyroid function and the immune system.
- Brown rice is a good source of manganese, an important mineral for bone health, wound healing, and blood sugar control.
What’s the difference between brown rice and white rice?
Brown rice gets its color from the bran layers that remain on the rice when it goes through the hulling process. It’s milled for less time than white rice, which is why it retains the bran layers and is known for being a healthy source of fiber and for its chewy texture and nut-like flavor.
different types of brown rice
There are four types of brown rice: short, medium, long, and light brown.
The short grain variety is the plumpest and tends to cook up more tender than the other types of brown rice. It also takes the shortest amount of time to cook.
Long grain brown rice is thinner and less chewy than short grain. It takes a few more minutes to cook, but it has a more distinct flavor.
Light brown rice is simply long grain brown rice that has been milled for a shorter time, so it retains more of the bran layer. It’s the chewiest and nutty tasting of all the brown rice varieties.
Medium-grain brown rice is a good choice for recipes that call for rice with a chewy texture. It’s a bit chewier than the light brown rice but has a lesser nutty flavor.
Ideas for serving brown rice
How to cook brown rice
- Rinse. I like to rinse the rice for 30 seconds under cold water before adding it to the pot; this step is optional.
- Measure rice and water. And I use a 1:2 ration for cooking it—one cup of rice per two cups of water.
- Cook. I cook it over low heat, and I do not sautée or fry it before. Place 1 cup of brown rice in a pot with 2 cups water. Bring the pot of water to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer covered for 45 minutes, I use a silicone pot cover. Remove the pot from the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes before fluffing the rice with a fork.
About this cooking method
- This way of cooking rice will help you to batch cook. I make two or three cups of rice so I can have leftovers. This way, I can freeze some and save some more in the fridge for future use.
- I have tried making this recipe with other herbs, and I can tell you it turns out delicious. Fresh and dried herbs are lovely to use. They are super flavorful and have amazing benefits. I love using all kinds of herbs!
How TO GARNISH
- Add olive oil, lemon juice, dill, zest, and salt.
- Fluff with a fork with care not to beat it; the idea is to separate it and fluff it. Try and adjust the flavor if necessary. You can leave the rice as it is without dressing. You can put only the lemon and salt, only the oil, etc.
Here are other brown rice recipe ideas:
- Vegan Mexican Rice Pudding
- Fried rice with shiitake and asparagus
- Easy Green Enchiladas with Rice and black beans
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
How to make brown rice so that everyone likes it
- 2 cups of brown rice
- 4 cups of water
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 / 2 lemon the juice
- 1 lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon of dill dried or 1 tablespoon if using fresh
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- Add the rice and water to a pot and cover. Bring to a boil over low heat for about 15-20 minutes.
- Turn the heat off when very few liquid is left, let it sit covered for about 5 minutes.
- Add olive oil, lemon juice, dill, zest, and salt.
- Fluff with a fork with care not to beat it, the idea is to separate it and fluff it. Try and adjust the flavor if necessary. You can leave the rice as it is without dressing. You can put only the lemon and salt, only the oil, etc.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.