If you’re vegetarian, vegan, or just looking to try something different, the chickpea salad sandwich is a great option to add to your meal repertoire.
About this recipe
I think that one of our biggest problems is that we don’t give ourselves enough time to cook. I include myself on the list because there are times when I completely lose track of time. On others, things don’t go as planned, and I have to put dinner on the table in no time.
That is why this chickpea salad is the best; it is the perfect salad you can eat in a sandwich, with crackers, or on top of greens. Don’t you love these kinds of chickpea salad recipes that you can make in no time at all? A pantry salad is one of the world’s fastest dinners or meals; best of all, it is full of nutrients and good things for us.
How to prepare the chickpeas for the salad?
Chop the ingredients for the salad and then add to a bowl with the chickpeas and the mayo. Mix, season, and make sure to smash the chickpeas with the back of a spoon.
Smashing chickpeas a little with a spoon or with a bean masher is best.
It is good that they are textured but not completely whole. If you leave them whole, they can fly off the sandwich at the first bite, and we don’t want that.
Tips for the best chickpea salad sandwich
- I use whole wheat and whole grain bread for my sandwiches. I love a good loaf with nuts and seeds. This chickpea recipe salad is perfect for any bread, even no-knead bread.
- I prepare my own mayo at home with aquafaba. The store-bought vegan mayonnaise that I use is Vegenaise.
- If you are in a hurry, you can use your food processor to chop the vegetables faster. Pulse until you have everything chopped, but be careful not to do it over.
- You can make this chickpea recipe with canned or chickpeas cooked at home.
- When I cook chickpeas at home, I always cook more than I need. I keep the extra ones in tightly closed jars in the refrigerator or freezer bags in the freezer.
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
Chickpea salad sandwich
- 2 cans of chickpeas
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise or any other mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup red onion finely chopped
- 2 small carrots diced
- 2 tablespoons dill finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley finely chopped
- pinch of sea salt
- Bread for making sandwiches
- one or two fists of a mix of green leaves for the sandwich* optional
- pickled jalapeños * optional
- In a large bowl, put the chickpeas (without the liquid) and mash them as much as you can until you get a texture that you like.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix. Test for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Make the sandwiches and you’re done.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.