This Mexican salsa verde recipe can be prepared in two different ways. You can cook the ingredients or use them fresh. Did you know that you can eat raw tomatillos? This is the best salsa recipe ever; it gives a burst of flavor and nutrition to everything it touches and it is very easy to make.
I truly believe, there is no Mexican household without a container of homemade salsa on the table or in the fridge. Just think about it, a taco without salsa doesn’t taste as good as one with a good spoonful of salsa. I mean, I can’t even imagine it!😳 I always have at least one type of salsa in my house, either salsa Roja molcajeteada or salsa verde.
Ingredients to make Mexican salsa verde
- Tomatillos. Buy tomatillos that are firm to the touch and have a bright green husk and skin. Remove the husk just before using the tomatillos; the husk helps keep them fresh. I store them in the fridge’s crisper; they usually last a week and a half to two weeks. After you remove the husks, give them a good rinse.
- Cilantro. Use the leaves and stem; in the stem is where the magic is. It has tons of flavor.
- Serrano peppers. You can easily substitute them with jalapeño peppers if you don’t want the salsa verde to be very spicy.
- Onion. Use the onion that you have on hand; I usually use white onion or yellow onions.
- Salt. Sea salt or kosher salt works great here.
How to make fresh Mexican salsa verde
- For the fresh salsa: combine in a blender, the tomatillos, cilantro, serrano pepper, salt and a quarter cup of chopped onion. Blend until everything is well integrated. Taste and adjust the seasoning by adding more salt as necessary.
- Tips and tricks:
- If you don’t have a Vitamix (affiliate link) or any other powerful blender, chop into big chunks all the onion and tomatillos; roughly chop the cilantro.
- Add a tablespoon or so of water to make your blender run better.
- I like to add the cilantro at the end, sometimes the stems can get cut up in the blades.
How to make Mexican salsa verde with cooked tomatillos
- For the cooked tomatillo salsa: Put all the ingredients in a saucepan to cook with a quarter cup of water. Cover and leave for ten or 15 minutes. Remove the ingredients from the saucepan with a slotted spoon. Put in the blender and blend until everything is well integrated. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
- Tips and tricks:
- Blend until you achieve the texture that you want. It tastes amazing, fully blended, or chunky. Do as you like.
- Use hot or cold; this Mexican salsa verde tastes amazing both ways.
How to use fresh or cooked Mexican Salsa verde
There are many ways to prepare a good Mexican salsa verde, and each family has its own secret recipe. This recipe is one of my favorite because with the same ingredients you can make the authentic Mexican salsa verde in two ways: fresh and cooked. Both are delicious.
Use this recipe as a guide for making your own family recipe for salsa verde. If you like onion a lot, add more or if you prefer jalapeño peppers instead of serranos, change it. Or, if you want to put an avocado in the fresh salsa with the raw ingredients… go for it.
Here is the recipe for this MEXICAN SALSA VERDE, 2 DIFFERENT WAYS, and I hope you like it, and please share the recipe and the blog. Make sure to follow me on Instagram, Facebook and share your creations with me. Or, save this recipe for later on Pinterest.
It would also be incredible if you gave this recipe five stars and shared your comments in the comment section.
MExican Salsa verde, fresh and cooked
- Sauce pan
- 5-7 tomatillos depending on the size peeled and rinsed
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, and stems
- 1-2 serrano chili peppers
- 1 / 4 cup of chopped white onion
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- For the raw salsa: combine in a blender, the tomatillos, cilantro, serrano pepper, salt and a quarter cup of chopped onion. Blend until everything is well integrated, taste, and adjust the seasoning.
- For the cooked salsa: Put all the ingredients in a saucepan to cook with a quarter cup of water. Cover and leave for ten or 15 minutes. Put in the blender and blend until everything is well integrated. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
What you need
- Celery Juice: Discover its Properties and Benefits - May 29, 2023
- Healthy Potato Salad with Pesto Recipe | Easy and Flavorful - May 28, 2023
- QUINOA STUFFED POBLANO PEPPERS, CHILES RELLENOS - May 26, 2023