This Vegan Banana Bread is a one-bowl recipe that requires just 9 ingredients and no special equipment. It’s quick, easy, and super delicious. Use the recipe to make a banana loaf or muffins!
This banana bread recipe is the perfect homemade treat and it’s great for kid’s lunch boxes or an after-school snack. We also love it for breakfast with vegan butter and a tablespoon or two of homemade almond butter and berry chia jam.
Reasons to love this vegan banana bread recipe
- Versatile. This recipe can be made into a loaf or muffins, and you can add chocolate chips or nuts to change it up.
- Quick and easy. You need just 9 ingredients and the recipe comes together in one bowl.
- No special equipment. You don’t need an electric mixer. Just a bowl and a spatula.
- Meal prep friendly. Just make the bread or muffins on the weekends for quick and easy snacks or breakfasts throughout the week.
- Has the perfect crumb. Because the banana bread is made with applesauce it is moist, healthy, and perfect.
- Vegan. This recipe is egg and dairy-free. You could use gluten-free flour without doubt or you could make my almond flour banana bread recipe.
I used all-purpose flour for this recipe. Whole wheat pastry flour, spelt flour or whole wheat flour will work great as well. Use overripe bananas, they will be easier to mash and they will give that perfect banana flavor to the loaf. If you use frozen bananas, let them thaw before adding them to the pan.
Because of the combination of bananas and applesauce this bread does not need ground flaxseed or flaxseed egg as a binder. Use regular sugar, I do not recommend using brown sugar, coconut sugar, or other types of sweeteners.
Use any vegetable oil, safflower, avocado oil, or even coconut oil if you want a hint of tropical flavors there.
How to make the best vegan banana bread
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and grease a standard 9-inch loaf pan or a 12-cup muffin mold.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas (it is best to use overripe bananas) until there are no large pieces left. Add the sugar and oil, and mix everything together. Stir in the applesauce and vanilla, and mix until well combined. These are your wet ingredients.
- Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir until the dry ingredients are incorporated into the wet mixture.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan or divide it into the muffin molds with a spoon or 1/4 measuring cup. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick or tip of a knife inserted into it comes out clean. Let it cool over a wire rack before cutting.
🔥How to make applesauce? If you want to make your own fruit purée, you'll need to cook apples or pears. Just peel, seed and chop. Then let them simmer on the stovetop with a little bit of water for 10-15 minutes. When the fruit is super soft, let it cool and purée it with an immersion blender. I portion it into freezer bags either in a quarter cup or half-cup servings, making it easy to defrost and use in recipes.
Storage and freezing tips
Storage: Store the banana muffins or sliced banana bread in an airtight container on the counter for 2-3 days.
Freezing: Make sure the banana loaf or muffins are completely cooled. Wrap the loaf tightly in plastic wrap or place the muffins in a single layer in a freezer-safe container. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Recipe variations and Mix-ins
Use this vegan banana bread recipe as a base and mix in your favorite add-ins:
- With chocolate chips. Dark or milk chocolate chips would be great, or other flavors such as white chocolate or butterscotch chips.
- With chopped nuts. Chopped walnuts or pecans are always a nice addition to banana bread and muffins.
- With dried fruit. We love raisins, but dried cranberries or blueberries would work well too.
- With spices. Add cinnamon, cardamom, allspice, or vanilla powder.
Additional recipe tips
- The bread was made in a standard size loaf pan (9 in x 5 in). If you use a different size pan, you will need to adjust your baking time.
- Your bananas should be very ripe with plenty of brown spots. They will mash easier and create the best banana bread flavor and texture.
- To ensure the bread or muffins don’t stick to the pans, make sure the pans are greased well. You can even use some parchment paper to line the loaf pan for the loaf to ensure it doesn’t stick. This will also help you lift the loaf out of the pan easily.
- While you might be eager to cut into the loaf when it comes out of the oven, you’ll want to wait until it cools down completely so you’ll get clean slices when you cut into it.
Other recipes that you may like:
So here is the recipe for this vegan banana bread, enjoy with a glass of almond milk or a good cup of coffee. Post a picture of your bread on Facebook, Instagram, I love to see your creations. If you want to make it later, save it on Pinterest.
It would also be fantastic and super helpful if you leave a comment and/or rating of this recipe in the comment section. Please feel free to write suggestions, ideas, or how it went when you made the recipe.
Vegan banana bread
- Preheat the oven at 350ºF.
- In a bowl crush the bananas until there are no large pieces. Add the sugar and oil. Mix well until everything is well integrated, add the applesauce and vanilla. Keep stirring until everything is well mixed.
- Add the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Mix well.
- Pour the mixture into 12 muffin pieces mold or in a loaf bread mold.
- Bake it until you insert a toothpick and comes out clean, 20-25 min.
- This bread can also be made with puree pear or a mixture of the two.
- To make the puree cook the apples or pear in very little water until very soft.
- Blend in the blender or with a kitchen robot.
- I put it in freezer bags and freeze them.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.