Chia jam is a delicious and healthy alternative to traditional fruit jams. Made with just a few simple ingredients, chia seeds, and fruit, this sweet spread is not only packed with flavor but also offers numerous health benefits.
Whether you spread it on toast, add it to your yogurt or enjoy it as a topping for your pancakes, chia jam is a versatile and nutritious addition to your pantry. Read on to find out how to make your own chia jam at home!
WHAT IS CHIA?
Chia seeds are seeds that come from the salvia hispanica, a plant of the mint family popular in Latin America; Guatemala, and Mexico mainly. The incredible thing is that chia became popular a few years ago, but it was an important part of the diet of the Aztec and Mayan cultures.
WHAT PROPERTIES DO CHIA SEEDS HAVE?
Chia seeds are full of antioxidants and omega-3s, among the many properties they have, they help us to stay hydrated and have tons of fiber.
Chia is considered a superfood; this basically means that it has more concentrated nutrients in that small size than most other foods.
HOW TO MAKE berry CHIA seed JAM?
Making this jam is the easiest thing to do, it is a matter of putting all the ingredients in a pot and letting it cook. Here are the steps:
- Add the frozen berries, chia seeds, and sugar (if using) in a small pot
- Turn on the heat to low and wait until the berries are thawed
- Mix everything and that’s it. Really, it is that easy.
TIP Use any type of berry you like, it can be blueberries, black berries, strawberries, or a mix.
HOW TO EAT THIS easy berry CHIA JAM?
With my family, this easy berry chia jam started as the sweet sauce for pancakes, but little by little we started using it for everything. On top of oatmeal, instead of jam for the kids’ almond butter sandwich.
To finish nice-creams or also as a pudding with granola sprinkled on top. It tastes delicious any way you have it.
Here are other recipes you might like:
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
Berry chia seed jam
- 2 cups frozen berries
- 2 tablespoons Chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice optional
- In a saucepan over very low heat add the frozen berries with the sugar and chia seeds. Stir slowly and with the back of a spoon crush the berries as much as you can.
- Stir and pour into a jar with a lid. Let it cool and add the lemon juice if using. Let it sit for a couple of hours until the chia seed fully absorbs the liquid.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
This recipe is republished from February 2014.