This creamy vegan pot pie soup is the easiest and the most uncomplicated version that you’ll find. You’ll still get the flavors, the vegetables, and the creaminess of this traditional soup.
About this recipe
I’ve always tried to recreate those flavors in a healthier, vegan, and gluten-free way when possible. This creamy vegan pot pie soup with millet-chia crust is my version of her chicken pot pie soup.
How to make the vegan pot pie soup
- I made this soup in the traditional way but with a very healthy twist. Start by sautéing the garlic and onion in olive oil.
- Then I add gluten-free flour to form a roux (a flour-fat mixture that is best for thickening anything… soups, sauces, gravies).
- Then I add the vegetable broth, oat milk, and pureed navy beans.
- Then I made the crust with a Millet and Chia slice of bread but use puff pastry or other pie crust if you like.
How to make the soup crust with a loaf of bread
It comes out light and delicious, plus the added millet and chia add a nice crunch, giving it the perfect crusty feeling to every bite of a classic pot pie soup.
Other recipes that you may like:
Creamy Vegan Pot pie soup with Millet and Chia crust
For the soup
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- ½ cup minced onion
- 4 tablespoons gluten-free flour
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups rice milk or another dairy free
- 1 can navy beans pureed liquid and beans
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup sliced fingerling potatoes or another type cut into ½ -inch cubes
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions
- Salt and pepper
- Minced parsley to finish.
- 8 slices of Little Northern Bakehouse Millet and Chia Loaf
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter or extra virgin olive oil
- In a large soup pot, heat the extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and minced garlic. When it starts to brown, sprinkle with flour and leave for three minutes moving constantly.
- Add the vegetable broth, and milk and mix until the flour dissolves completely. Add the navy bean puree.
- Add the vegetables, salt, and pepper and let it simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are thoroughly cooked.
- To make the crust, roll out a slice of Millet & Chia bread until 1/8-inch or less thick. Cut it with a cookie cutter and toast on a skillet with butter or olive oil.
- Finish with minced parsley.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Thanks, Little Northern Bakehouse, for sponsoring this post in November 2018.