This vegan lentil loaf with tomato glaze is one of my favorite comfort foods in my house. You could also call it vegan meatloaf. This recipe is full of flavor and is perfect for formal dinners, family meals, or any other occasion. Have you ever tried to make one yet?
WHAT IS A vegan LENTIL loaf OR VEGAN meatloaf?
Traditionally a meatloaf is made with ground beef and a combination of other ingredients like breadcrumbs, eggs, and different sauces. Then it is shaped like a loaf or cooked in a loaf baking pan (as its name implies, loaf). It bakes for a while, and there are recipes that finish it up with a tomato glaze or barbecue sauce.
What is a vegan meatloaf? A vegan lentil loaf or vegan meatloaf is a “meatloaf” made with ingredients that give a lot of flavor, good texture, and lentils instead of ground meat. This recipe also has a glaze on top and is prepared in the same way as the traditional recipe.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE LENTIL CAKE
- Olive oil or other vegetable oil
- Onion, celery, carrot, garlic
- Tomato paste
- Lentils, ground bread, ground walnuts
- Fresh parsley, thyme
- Tamari or soy sauce
- Ground flax
- Glacé: Ketchup, Brown sugar, Apple vinegar
HOW TO MAKE lentil loaf or vegan meatloaf?
- Prep the veggies. Chop the onion, celery, and carrot as small as you can. I use the food processor (affiliate link) and press it several times until they are chopped into small pieces. Be careful, though, not to let the food processor run for too long, as the vegetables can turn into a paste-like consistency.
- Season the vegetables. In a frying pan, add the olive oil and the vegetables with a good pinch of salt. They are going to release their juices; that’s okay; that’s the idea. Add garlic and tomato puree when they start to brown around the edges. Leave it for about 10 more minutes.
- Glaze. To prepare the glaze, mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Shape the lentil meatloaf. In a large bowl, put the rest of the ingredients, the lentils, and the sautéed vegetables. Mix carefully and put the mixture on the tray. Press it and make it firm so that when it is split, it does not fall apart; put the glacé on it. I put half, but it is to your liking.
- Bake. Put it in the oven for 30-45 min until it is golden brown and feels firm.
HOW TO SERVE VEGAN MEAT CAKE?
For me, the perfect meal is when I serve this vegan meatloaf or lentil loaf with mashed potatoes or cauliflower puree and a good salad. It can be a nice salad with a simple vinaigrette or a Brussels sprout salad.
Other recipes that you may like:
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow me on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
Vegan lentil loaf with amazing tomato glaze
- Mixing bowl
- 2 cups uncooked lentils or 4 cups of cooked lentils
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion half cup or so, minced
- 2 celery stalks half cup or so
- 2 chopped carrots half cup or so
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup tomato paste or ketchup
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley or 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- If you are using dry lentils add 2 cups of dry lentils into 5 cups of boiling water. Leave them until tender.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop the onion, celery and carrot as small as possible. I use the food processor and press several times until they are minced.
- In a pan add olive oil to heat and add the vegetables with a good pinch of salt. When they start to brown, add the garlic. Leave it for about 10 min.
- To a large bowl, add the lentils with the remaining ingredients and cooked vegetables. Add salt and pepper and mix util fully integrated.
- Put the mixture into a loaf pan, ior line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Press it with a spoon, until firm and tight.
- To prepare the glaze, just mix all ingredients in a bowl. Spoon over the lentil-loaf and bake.
- Put it in the oven for 30-45 min. until golden and feels firm.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.