This vegan mashed cauliflower recipe is the perfect alternative if you don’t eat mashed potatoes, are on a low-carb or keto diet. It’s amazing how versatile cauliflower is and how much we can do with it. This recipe is the tastiest creamy cauliflower purée you’ll find. It is garlicky, straightforward to make, and perfect as a side dish.
ingredients for the cauliflower mashed
- Cauliflower. Look for fresh, firm heads of cauliflower. Check that the leaves are green and that the florets do not have mold spots.
- Garlic. I like to put garlic when I cook the cauliflower. This lifts the flavor of the cauliflower and makes it richer and tastier.
- Liquid. You can use water, almond milk, oat milk, or vegetable broth.
- Salt and pepper. I use kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Olive oil or butter
- Aromatic herbs. You can use chives, parsley, basil, or oregano.
Ho to make mashed cauliflower?
- Cook one head of cauliflower with garlic cloves with some liquid of your choice in a large pot. I do not let it boil, I like to simmer it and leave until tender.
- Puree the cooked cauliflower and garlic cloves with salt and pepper using a potato masher until you achieve your desired consistency. Serve in a bowl and finish with a drizzle of olive oil.
- To finish, sprinkle it with fresh herbs like parsley, rosemary, chives, or parmesan cheese ( I use vegan).
- Finish with a drizzle of olive oil or a tablespoon of butter (I use vegan butter).
IMPORTANT NOTE, drain the vegetables before mashing them.
Do not add all the liquid in the pot when pureeing the cauliflower. Add the liquid slowly if you blend it and the blender is not running properly.
Tips and variations
- You can make cauliflower mashed potatoes for a denser puree.
- You can mix it with cream cheese for a creamy mashed cauliflower.
- You can mix it with sour cream or mayonnaise if you want a creamier.
- Leave the recipe as is if you want a light cauliflower puree.
- You can mix frozen spinach or any other greens.
- Finish it with vegan chipotle cream or poblano crema.
- For a garlicky mashed cauliflower, add more garlic cloves.
other recipes that you may like
Frequently asked questions
How do you make mashed cauliflower less watery? There are a few ways to make mashed cauliflower less watery. One way is to cook the cauliflower for a shorter amount of time. Another way is to drain the cooked cauliflower before mashing it or let the liquid evaporate. Finally, you can add less liquid when mashing the cauliflower.
What does mash cauliflower taste like? Mashed cauliflower tastes similar to mashed potatoes but with a slightly sweeter flavor.
What is healthier potato or cauliflower? Cauliflower is healthier than potatoes. Cauliflower is low in calories and high in fiber, while the potato is high in calories and low in fiber.
So here is the recipe for this cauliflower mashed, and I hope you like it as much as we do. After preparing this cauliflower mashed recipe take a picture of it and share it on Facebook or Instagram.
If you want to make this later, save it on Pinterest. It would also be fantastic and super helpful if you leave a comment and/or a rating of this recipe in the comment section. Please feel free to write suggestions, ideas, or how it went when you made the recipe.
The tastiest Cauliflower Mashed
- Food processor
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup water or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- fresh herbs to finish chives parsely, thyme
- Cut the cauliflower into large pieces and peel the garlic
- Put the cauliflower florets, garlic cloves and liquid in a pot. Leave for 15-20 minutes or until the cauliflower is completely soft.
- Take out the cauliflower and garlic and put in the food processor or blender. You could also use an immersion blender.
- Add salt, black pepper, and olive oil. Blend and if you need more liquid add the liquid that was left in the pot.
- Taste and adjust the flavor if necessary.
- Finish with black pepper, salt and a dash of olive oil. Sprinkle with finely chopped fresh herbs.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.