Get ready to enjoy this tasty chickpea soup recipe! It’s a favorite around here, featuring a hearty tomato broth, called caldillo, with chunks of avocado and a splash of lime. Delicious and super comforting, this soup is like a cozy hug in a bowl that will make you feel right at home. Give it a try, and you’ll see what we mean!
About this recipe
This soup is hearty, delicious and very easy to prepare. You can serve it with avocado chuncks or roasted avocado, with lime juice or if you want to be a bit more fancy, serve it with charred lime.
I like to add the touch and smokiness of the roasted veggies because it gives it a bit more of a depth of flavor and takes this soup to the next level.
About this recipe
This soup is simple, nutritious, and very hearty. I loved coming home to soups like this when I was young. I grew up in Mexico, and in my country, lunch/dinner is served around 3:00 pm. So every time I returned home from school, lunch/dinner was served.
- Olive oil. A good oilve oil
- Tomatoes. As mentioned before, tomatoes are a great source of vitamin C, potassium, folate, and vitamin K. When choosing tomatoes, opt for ones that are deeply colored and free from bruises, blemishes, or soft spots.
- Roasted red pepper (optional )*. Roasting red bell peppers enhances their sweetness and adds a smoky flavor that can enrich the flavor of a variety of dishes. They are a great source of vitamins A and C, potassium, folic acid, and fiber.
- Vegetable broth
- Chickpeas or two cans without the liquid. A type of legume full of protein, fiber, and various vitamins and minerals. They are incredibly versatile and can be used in multiple dishes, from salads and dips (like hummus) to stews and curries.
- Fresh spinach. It’s a superfood loaded with tons of nutrients in a low-calorie package. It is an excellent source of vitamins K, A, and C, as well as folate, manganese, magnesium, iron, and vitamin B2.
How to make it
Add four cups of water or vegetable broth, salt, and roasted red pepper (if using). Cover and boil for 15 minutes. Blend everything in the blender or an immersion blender.
Test for seasoning and add more liquid if necessary. Add spinach and chickpeas, cover and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes over medium heat.
how to Serve the soup
Serve with diced avocado and a good squeeze of lime. Char the lime and avocado for a smoky flavor to take this soup to the next level.
When I was preparing this Chickpea soup I forgot to take pictures of the process or the ingredients, but the recipe is very easy to follow and it comes along without problems.
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
Chickpea soup with avocado and lime
- Soup pot
- Blender or immersion blender
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 6 large tomatoes roughly chopped or a 28 oz. can
- 4-6 garlic cloves peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 roasted red pepper optional *
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4-6 cups of water or vegetable broth
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas or two cans without the liquid
- 4 handfuls approx. fresh spinach
- 1 roasted avocado
- 1 charred lime
- In a soup pot over medium heat, add olive oil. Be careful not to overheat. Add garlic and tomato and cook until slightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- Add four cups of water to the pot, along with salt and roasted red pepper if desired. Cover and let boil for 15 minutes.
- Blend everything in the blender or an immersion blender.
- Test for seasoning and add more liquid if necessary. Cover and let chickpeas and spinach cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve with avocado and a little lemon juice.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.