Simple Vegan Broccoli Soup is smooth and creamy without any dairy, and it’s super easy to make. You only need 6 ingredients and just 30 minutes from start to finish!
There are some flavors I will never get tired of, like the simple and classic flavors in this cream of broccoli soup recipe. This soup is easy to prepare, I can have it on the dinner table in twenty minutes or less, and my kids love it!
Reasons to love this creamy vegan broccoli soup
- Simple ingredients. You need broccoli, onions, and pantry staples like oil, broth, salt, and pepper.
- Easy to make. You chop your veggies, sauté, simmer, and then blend. So easy!
- Dairy-free and vegan. It’s smooth and creamy without cheese, milk, or heavy cream.
Ingredients to make vegan cream of broccoli soup
- Olive oil. Just a drizzle to sauté the onions. Feel free to use another type of oil, or you can even use water for the sautéing.
- Onion. You’ll need half a white onion that’s roughly chopped. You can also use yellow onion or shallots.
- Broccoli. You need a whole head of broccoli for this recipe, and since broccoli is the star of the soup, make sure you’re using fresh broccoli.
- Vegetable stock. You’ll need 4 cups of veggie stock or broth to simmer the broccoli. You can also use low-sodium stock or water and add a little extra seasoning.
- Salt and pepper. This is all the seasoning you need. Adjust the amounts to suit your tastes.
How to make broccoli soup vegan
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat the oil and sauté the onions for 6-8 minutes until they soften.
- Add the broccoli, vegetable stock (or water), and some salt and pepper, and give it a stir. Cover and cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until the broccoli is soft and tender. Don’t let it boil.
- Carefully transfer the broccoli mixture to a high-speed blender such as a Vitamix (affiliate link) or blend it right in the pot with an immersion blender (affiliate link). Blend until creamy.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
How to serve this creamy broccoli soup
Enjoy a grilled cheese sandwich on the side, or cut it into small pieces and place it on top of the soup.
Ladle your soup in a bowl and then top with croutons, nuts, or seeds for added crunch. You could also finish with a drizzle of olive oil.
When blending, add some cashews (affiliate link) or vegan sour cream if you want a creamy texture. Garnish with raw broccoli florets, chopped green onion, or fresh herbs.
Top it with vegan cheese or a drizzle of coconut milk, and sprinkle with nutritional yeast if you want a cheesy flavor.
Sprinkle on some crushed red pepper flakes or everything but the bagel seasoning.
Is broccoli soup healthy?
This soup is made healthy using fresh, simple, and wholesome ingredients. It isn’t loaded with heavy creams or cheese. It’s naturally creamy from the blended vegetables. Broccoli also contains vitamins A, K, and C and has plenty of fiber, so you can feel good about serving this soup to your family!
Storage and freezing tips
Storage: Any leftover soup should be placed in an airtight glass container and stored in the refrigerator. It should last 2-3 days—Reheat in the microwave or stovetop.
Freezing: Place the cooled soup in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag, and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator before reheating. Adjust seasoning if needed.
Additional recipe tips
- This soup only has two main ingredients – onion and broccoli. Make sure they are the freshest possible to ensure you end up with a fresh and tasty broccoli soup.
- There’s no need to dice the onion into small pieces before sautéing. They end up blended into the soup, so larger chunks are fine.
- When sautéing the onions in olive oil, use low-to-medium heat. You want the onions to be translucent, not browned or burned.
- Add a clove or two of minced garlic and sauté with the onion for added flavor. If you want a heartier soup, add some cubed potatoes there.
When adding the vegetable broth or water, add less of what you think you’ll need and add more if needed. It’s easier to thin out a soup than fix one with too much liquid.
Other broccoli soup recipes to try
- Broccoli and Spinach Soup with Cilantro Croutons
- Broccoli and Zucchini Soup with B12
- Broccoli and Greens Soup
- Broccoli Soup with Shiitake Mushroom Crisps
- Broccoli Soup with Cashews
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow me on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
Simple vegan broccoli soup
- Soup pot
- Blender or immersion blender
- 1/2 white onion roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 head of broccoli
- 4 cups water or vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
- In a soup pot add the oil and add the onion for about 6-8 minutes until it is very soft and the edges begin to brown.
- Prepare the brocoli by removing the tough stems by cutting off the florets and discarding the thick stem. Cut the florets into smaller, bite-sized pieces.Add the broccoli and water or vegetable stock, cover and leave over medium heat for about 15-20 min or until the broccoli is very soft.
- When done add a pinch of salt and pepper and blend until creamy.
- Check for seasoning and adjust if needed.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Equipment you need
- Coconut Mango Chia Seed Pudding Recipe (Easy, Delicious, And Vegan) - March 31, 2023
- Prosecco - March 29, 2023
- Aperol Spritz, be summer ready - March 29, 2023
Simple, delicious and healthy. Just perrfect
I’m a broccoli girl so this soup is my to to list! I’ll let you know cuando la haga!
I Just love the color of this soup and how easy is to make it. I pinned it already. Thanks!
Debe saber delicioso, tengo que probar tu receta.
La verdad es que el brocoli no me gusta y me da mucha rabia por que para la mujer es muy sano. Lo coerto es que lo que me “molesta” es la textura, por lo que no descarto probar esta receta jejeje
I just found this recipe. Made it and it was delicious. Used the water instead of oil. Added fresh garlic. Also used vegetable broth. No salt but used pepper. I used the purée setting instead.
so happy you liked it!!