This recipe is for my favorite broccoli and spinach soup, with cilantro croutons. This soup is vegan, creamy, easy to prepare, super healthy and family approved.
I have to confess that I was not a soup lover growing up. My mom always served soup for lunch or dinner. For me, the worst ones were the ones, which had some type of broth in them. I could manage the vegetable creams but the broths….never.
When I started cooking for myself, that story changed, I became a soup lover. Especially when I can make them vegan, full of antioxidants and vitamins, and most of all top my soups with croutons and crunchy toppings.
How to make the broccoli and spinach soup?
This soup is super easy to make, and it is full of vitamins and minerals that will begin to protect us from the cold weather and strange viruses. Yes, broccoli also has vitamin C, and spinach and cilantro are super powerful greens. This is one of the greenest soups I prepare.
Step one, cook
Sauté onion in olive oil, add the garlic, broccoli, spinach, salt, and the liquid you are using, water or vegetable broth (affiliate link). Cover and let it cook for 10 min.
Step two, blend
When the broccoli is soft, and the spinach wilted blend the soups with an immersion blender (affiliate link) or a high-speed blender. If you want a creamier soup, definitely use a blender. But if you do not mind a bit of texture on your soup, the immersion blender (affiliate link) will work great, and you’ll have one less thing to clean.
Step three, the croutons
To make the croutons you cans wait until the end or you can start while the veggies are cooking. So, to make the cilantro and lime croutons you cut the bread, drizzle it with olive oil and bake in preheated oven until golden and crispy. When ready sprikle with chopped cilantro and lime zest.
About the croutons
The only not so good thing that I can tell you about this vegan broccoli and spinach is… I CAN NEVER TAKE MY EYES OFF THE CROUTONS. In my family, everybody loves croutons and they slowly disappear if I do not pay attention.
I prepare them with delicious homemade bread, baguette, white or whole wheat. When they come out of the oven, hot and yummy, I finish them with chopped cilantro and lemon or lime zest.
They are really to die for, and best when combined with the soup. I usually prepare two batches of croutons; I like to save some for extra for leftover vegan soup or a loaded plant-based salad.
Tips, tricks to prepare the best creamy vegan soup & other recipes:
- If you don’t like croutons, serve this soup with roasted chickpeas, roasted veggies or lentils.
- Also, feel free to substitute the spinach with kale, arugula or other green.
- When making the croutons, be sure to cover the garlic pieces with the bread. You don’t want them to burn.
- I like to add cilantro to them but any fresh herb will do. They taste delicious with parsley, basil or dill.
- Here are other recipes for soups: Mexican lentil soup, Powerful detox soup, potato soup, split pea soup
So here is the recipe for this amazing broccoli and spinach soup with cilantro croutons and I hope you make it really soon. If you do, please share the recipe and the blog or post it on Instagram or Pin it on Pinterest to prepare it later.
It would also be fantastic and super helpful if you leave a comment and/or rating of this recipe in the comment section. Please feel free to write suggestions, ideas, or how it went when you made the recipe.
Broccoli soup with spinach, cilantro and croutons
For the soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound broccoli
- 2 cups spinach tightly fitted
- 5 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- freshly ground black pepper.
For the croutons
- 4 cups bread, cubed baguette or ciabatta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
- zest of one lemon
For the soup
- In a pan put olive oil and onion over medium heat. Leave for about 10 minutes or until the onion is translucent/.
- Add garlic and a teaspoon of salt for about 5 minutes. Be careful that the garlic does not burn.
- Add broccoli and spinach along with the liquid you will use. Cover it and let until the broccoli is completely cooked.
For the croutons
- While the vegetables are cooking, dice the bread. In a large bowl, add 3 tablespoons of olive oil, two cloves of minced garlic and half a teaspoon of salt. Mix and add the bread to be covered well with this mixture. Put the bread cubes on a baking sheet prepared with a silicone mat or a piece of parchment paper. Be careful that the pieces of garlic are covered by the bread.
- Put in the oven for 15 minutes or when you see the edges of the bread begins to brown.
- Take them out of the oven and sprinkle with chopped cilantro and a teaspoon of lemon zest.
- Check the vegetables and add ¼ cup of cilantro and black pepper. Blend in a food processor or blender until smooth. Check the seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Serve in soup bowls and top with croutons.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- How to prepare a Paloma with Mezcal? - June 2, 2023
- Scrambled tofu and vegetable burritos - June 1, 2023
- Thai Green Curry with vegetables - June 1, 2023
Ale I love those croutons. I also love how you transform a simple broccoli soup in a feast for the senses by adding spinach and again those croutons!
I love everything about this soup! I didn’t eat much broccoli growing up but now I love it!
I love broccoli soup. Is my favorite! Great recipe!
I adore broccoli in any form, but soups are so close to my heart!! Anything can be cured with a homemade soup!! great recipe
Ale I love this recipe and your blog. My family is going to love this spinach and cilantro soup… Thanks for sharing.
My kids love broccoli, so I will make this recipe next week! Delicious and easy to make!
For that delight, croutons are ideal ¡Happy Sunday!
Made this soup today. It was beautiful with such a vibrant taste! Love the combination of the garlic croutons tosses with cilantro and lemon zest. Just wonderful! Thank you!
Thank you for letting me know!! It is one of our favorite soups at home.