This vegan cream of mushroom soup is not only decadent and satisfying; it is easy to make, dairy-free, and perfect for when you want a soup full of flavor, a soup that leaves you nourished and happy. Best of all, you’ll have it ready in under 35 minutes.
What are the benefits of eating mushrooms?
This cream of mushroom soup is a delicious way to eat mushrooms and get all their benefits. Dr.Greger (which I’m a big fan of) tells you all of the benefits of mushrooms in his book called “How not to die” if you wanna know more about them.
But in the meantime, let me tell you some. Did you know that they are super useful to help your body fight allergies? They are fantastic as an immune system booster and have tons of vitamin B and minerals.
INGREDIENTS for vegan cream of mushroom soup
- Mushrooms. Use a mixture of white mushrooms, cremini mushrooms, wild mushrooms, or portobello mushrooms. This cream of mushroom soup will be delicious with all kinds of mushrooms. However, if you use white button mushrooms, you may want to add a tablespoon or two of soy sauce or tamari to boost the mushrooms’ flavor.
- Garlic. Garlic not only enhances the flavor of mushrooms but also complements them and raises the nutritional value of this soup.
- Thyme. Fresh or dried herbs always give a super special touch to our dishes.
- Vegetable broth . You can use homemade or store-bought vegetable stock. You can also use water or dehydrated mushroom ( like dried porcini mushrooms) broth.
🌱 Do you want to know how to prepare mushrooms? Go to this post 👉 the best way to prepare mushrooms.
HOW TO MAKE vegan CREAM OF MUSHROOM soup recipe?
- Start by sautéing the garlic in olive oil or vegan butter, be careful not to burn it; burned garlic will make the soup taste bitter.
- Add the mushrooms, thyme, salt, and vegetable broth and let it simmer for 20 minutes. Stir from time to time
- Blend in the blender or with a food processor and adjust the seasoning if necessary; return to the pot if you use the blender. If it is too thick or has a texture you d not like, keep blending. If it is too thick, add more vegetable broth, cashew milk, unsweetened coconut milk, water, oat, or almond milk.
Give it a twist
If you want to twist this soup and make it a bit different:
- Add a splash of white wine while sauteeing the garlic.
- Add onion and/or shallots to it; any substitutions with the aromatics are welcomed here.
- You can blend only half of the mushrooms and leave the rest whole for a different texture.
- Be brave and purchase all kinds of mushrooms; their combination will add flavor.
SERVE THE MUSHROOM SOUP WITH
- Drizzle olive oil on top
- Have a slice of bread from a freshly baked loaf
- You can also accompany it with homemade crackers
- Serve alongside a Caesar salad
- Serve alongside a roasted vegetable sandwich with basil and parsley pesto
- Homemade croutons, or if you want a gluten-free topping add roasted chickpeas.
- Chop fresh herbs.
Other recipes that you may like:
- Vegan Mushroom and onion sandwich
- Vegan Lentil and Mushroom Ragu
- Winter soup with leeks, mushrooms, and rice
- Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
- Air Fryer mushrooms
So here is the vegan creamy mushroom soup recipe, and I hope you are encouraged to try it and that you like it as much as we do. Mushrooms have so many benefits that it is worth starting to eat them now.
When you prepare this recipe, take a photo of it and share it on Instagram and Facebook. If you want to make it later, save it on Pinterest. It would also be incredible if you give it 5 stars and/or tell me how it went in the comments section; if you have doubts or ideas, also put them there.
Creamy vegan mushroom soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic in large pieces
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms cremini or white or a mixture of the two
- 4 cups of broth of vegetables or water
- Chopped chives or chopped fresh parsley
- Olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a large soup pot over medium heat add the olive oil, garlic and a pinch of sea salt. Leave for five minutes or until the garlic starts to brown. Add the thyme, leave 30 seconds to a minute and put the mushrooms and vegetable broth or water. Cover and leave for 20 minutes or until the broth begins to boil.
- Blend the soup very carefully and return to the pot. Try for seasoning and adjust if necessary. If you feel the soup is too thick, you can add a little more water, oat milk, almond milk or vegetable broth.
- Serve the soup and finish it with a splash of good quality olive oil, fresh herbs and a pinch of freshly ground black pepper.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.