Are you looking for a comforting and flavorful soup to warm you up on a chilly day? Look no further than this delicious mushroom leek soup! Made with earthy mushrooms and sweet leeks, this soup is sure to become a new favorite.
About this recipe
This winter soup is the perfect soup for this season of the year. It is super comforting and delicious. It is made with leeks, mushrooms, and rice. I like to finish it with a drizzle of excellent olive oil and eat it with a good piece of bread. It is not yet that cold where I live, but anyway, with this soup, I feel I’m ready for winter weather.
Perfect for lunch or dinner, it’s easy to make and packed with nourishing ingredients. Keep reading to learn how to make this comforting bowl of deliciousness!
mushroom leek soup Ingredients
- Olive oil
- Leeks white and light green parts only, clean and thinly sliced. Save the dark green parts for your homemade vegetable stock.
- Cremini mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced.
- Vinegar. Use white wine vinegar, red wine vinegar, or sherry vinegar or skip it but it adds such great brightness to the soup.
- Rice. Mix wild rice, brown rice, long-grain rice, or just one type.
- Water or vegetable broth (affiliate link)
- Dried thyme
How to clean leeks
Cleaning is important to remove any dirt and sand trapped between the layers. Here’s how to clean leeks:
- Cut off the dark green leaves and save them for vegetable broth (affiliate link).
- Cut the white and light green part of the leek in half lengthwise.
- Rinse the leeks thoroughly under running water, separating the layers to allow water to flow through and remove any dirt.
- Pat the leeks dry with a paper towel or clean kitchen cloth.
- And that’s it! Your leeks are now clean and ready to be used.
How to make leek mushroom soup
- Add the olive oil and sliced leeks to a large pot. Let the leek sweat over medium-low heat or until translucent. Put the mushrooms in, stir until the mushrooms are soft, and begin to scorch a bit to the bottom of the pot.
- Add 1 or two tablespoons of vinegar and deglaze the pan for 30 seconds to a minute.
- Add the 6 cups water, rice, dried thyme, and salt. Cover and leave for 15-20 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
- Serve in bowls and finish with a dash of extra virgin olive oil. Eat it with a salad and a good piece of french bread.
Give this recipe a twist
- You could twist it and add diced potatoes instead of rice. You will have a delicious leek mushroom potato soup.
- Add a big dollop of homemade sour cream before serving it.
- Serve with croutons or with a piece of freshly baked no-knead bread.
Other vegan soup recipes
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow me on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
Mushroom leek soup
- Soup pot
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium leeks white and light green parts only, clean and thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb cremini mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 1-2 tablespoons white wine vinegar red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 1 cups rice a mix of wild rice, brown rice, long grain rice
- 6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Add the olive oil and sliced leeks to a large pot. Let the leek sweat over medium-low heat or until translucent. Put the mushrooms in, stir until the mushrooms are soft and begin to scorch a bit to the bottom of the pot.
- Add the two tablespoons of vinegar and deglaze the pan for 30 seconds to a minute.
- Add the 6 cups water, rice, dried thyme, and salt. Cover and leave 15-20 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
- Serve in bowls and finish with a dash of extra virgin olive oil. Eat is with a salad on the side and a good piece of french bread.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- the best, best prosecco mimosa - April 1, 2023
- Roastedtomatillo chipotle salsa - March 31, 2023
- Coconut Mango Chia Seed Pudding Recipe (Easy, Delicious, And Vegan) - March 31, 2023