This vegan blueberry coffee cake smells delicious while baking; you’ll see. But the best comes when you taste it; yum, this treat is perfect for the afternoon or breakfast.
It is the perfect combination of soft and moist bread, with jammy blueberries and the top a slightly crunchy lemony topping (streusel).
This vegan blueberry coffee cake is
- Soft, fluffy, and moist
- Very easy to make
- Full of blueberries, juicy and perfect blueberries.
- It is perfect for making as a family activity; kids love to make it because it is very straightforward and fun to add to the topping.
- The topping (streusel) is slightly crunchy, with hints of lemon, and makes the coffee cake taste delicious and perfect.
What is a coffee cake?
Here in the US, a coffee cake is a baked good that refers to a “cake” for breakfast. I know it’s a bit confusing, but there is no coffee on the ingredient list for the coffee cake. It does not mean that the mixture has coffee in it.
But it is lovely with a cup of coffee, a glass of oat milk, a smoothie, an horchata, or a glass of hazelnut chocolate milk.
Ingredientes del coffee cake vegano
- Flour, all-purpose flour (affiliate link). If you using whole wheat flour, choose a fine ground one.
- It is better to use brown sugar and preferably vegan, but the one you have at home is perfectly fine.
- Zest of a lemon: When you use the lemon zest for this or any recipe, it is better to zest the lemon first and then cut it to use the juice.
- Oil, vegetable oil. It will always be better to use avocado oil or another that is not a mix of different oils.
- Almond milk or soy milk
- Lemon juice.
- Flour, all-purpose flour (affiliate link).
- Baking powder, if you find baking powder without aluminum better.
- Salt, Sugar, Oil
- Frozen or fresh blueberries. The blueberry coffee cake is very forgiving. This coffee cake is perfect when you buy over-ripen mushed or sour blueberries.
How to make vegan coffee cake
First, add lemon juice to the almond milk, then mix the dry ingredients in a medium-large bowl. The third step is to combine the wet and dry ingredients, add the blueberries and mix carefully.
Spread the batter into a prepared baking pan. The last step is to prepare the topping or streusel. Mix the flour, oil, yellow lemon zest, and sugar in a medium bowl with a fork or with your hands. The idea is to form some “crumbs.”
Put them on top, sprinkle evenly over the cake, and put them in the oven. The vegan coffee cake will be ready when you put a cake tester, knife, or fork in it, and it comes out clean, and the topping begins to brown.
Other recipes that you may like:
Here is the recipe for this vegan blueberry coffee cake that is delicious and easy to make. When you make it, take a picture of it and share it on Instagram, FB or save it for later on Pinterest.
Leave me your comments; I would love to hear how you did in the section below; if you have questions, ideas, or suggestions, write them there too.
Vegan Blueberry Coffee Cake
- Baking pan 6×9
- Mixing bowls
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- lemon zest
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3/4 cup of almond or soy milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1¼ cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup of oil
- 1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Measure out the milk and pour the two tablespoons of lemon juice into it. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the flour with the baking powder and salt. Add the sugar, oil, and milk with the lemon juice. Add the blueberries and mix carefully.
- Spread the batter into a prepared baking pan or baking dish.
- Make the streusel by mixingthe sugar, the lemon zest, and the oil. Sprinkle evenly over the batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean and the top is starting to brown. Let it cool before trying it.
This recipe is adapted from the book “Vegan Brunch” by Isa Moskowitz.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
This post appeared in Ale Cooks for the first time in November 2016.
- Coconut Mango Chia Seed Pudding Recipe (Easy, Delicious, And Vegan) - March 31, 2023
- Prosecco - March 29, 2023
- Aperol Spritz, be summer ready - March 29, 2023
The recipe looks delicious. What size pan did you use?
This is an 8x 11 inches ceramic pan from Staub. An 8×8 brownie pan will also work here.
I made this cake for my son’s birthday. substituting oat flour for a gluten free version. I chose a nine inch cake pan, and it worked perfectly. It was easy to make and my family loved it. I did take longer to bake in my oven, almost 40 minutes, but it did not burn or overbake.
To make it a bit more festive, I added emon icing that I drizzled on top and made a blueberry syrup that we poiured over the slices on the plate. It was amazing! My family said this was like something you would get in an upscale vegan bakery. Absolutely Delicious! Thanks.
Omg!!! You just made my heart explode with happiness. Thank you for letting me know and that blueberry drizzle on top… GENIUS.