This vegan chocoalte cake recipe is easy to make and absolutely delicious. It’s the perfect cake for a special occasion and features a date vegan coconut filling and a simple chocolate ganache.
About this recipe
This cake is moist, full of chocolate flavor, and so easy to prepare. As a chocolate lover, I knew that a double chocolate cake would be perfect for birthdays, and this recipe does not disappoint.
The filling is made with dates, coconut flakes, and more chocolate, creating a delightful balance of sweetness, chewiness, and crunchiness in every bite. This cake is simply irresistible!
vegan CHOCOLATE CAKE INGREDIENTS
- CAKE. To make the cake, you will need the following ingredients: unbleached flour (look for brands that do not use bleach to whiten the flour), dark chocolate chips and cocoa powder (choose the cleanest ones possible without added sugar or other ingredients), baking powder, salt, sugar, almond milk (or coffee, water, or oat milk), vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and apple cider vinegar.
- FILLING. In every delicious bite of this cake, you’ll experience the crunch of unsweetened shredded coconut paired perfectly with a creamy, chocolatey filling made with dates, cocoa, and vanilla.
- CHOCOLATE GANACHE. Combine melted dark chocolate and creamy coconut cream using a double boiler for the best vegan frosting.
Want to get coconut cream from a can of coconut milk?
Simply place the can in the refrigerator and wait for the coconut milk to separate from the liquid or coconut water. The top layer that forms, which is a creamy white consistency, is what we’ll use to make the frosting.
Difference between frosting and ganache
- FROSTING: The most common vegan frosting is buttercream, made by combining vegan butter, powdered sugar, and flavoring. For the best texture, it’s recommended to use a stand mixer to make it fluffy and airy.
- GANACHE: This vegan ganache is a rich mixture of dark chocolate and coconut cream, which makes it dairy-free. Typically, ganache is made by mixing chocolate and heavy cream, but this recipe is vegan-friendly.
switch it up
The chocolate ganache in this recipe can be used as a filling, to cover the cake, or as a finishing touch. However, if you prefer something with less chocolate, you can opt for a raspberry and chia jam filling instead.
This cake is also versatile enough to be made in different shapes, such as a square baking pan. For a three-layered vegan German-style cake, you can layer the filling on top and drizzle it with the chocolate ganache while it’s still hot.
You can adapt this recipe to suit your preferences, such as experimenting with different cake pans, making a multiple-layer cake, or baking cupcakes. The double chocolate cake tastes delicious with vegan strawberry frosting or any buttercream of your choice.
If you want to make this vegan cake gluten-free, you can use 1:1 gluten-free flour for the best results.
🔥IMPORTANT NOTE 🔥 You can easily change the shape of the baking pan, you can play around with the frosting and filling but please do not change the vegan chocolate cake recipe. If you change the flour or sugar, it will not turn out as rich and moist and beautiful as the cake in the pictures.
Other recipes that you may like:
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
Double chocolate vegan birthday cake
- Baking pan
- 2 cups of dates pitted
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 5 ounces of dark semi-sweet chocolate in chunks
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- Prepare two cake molds by greasing them with coconut oil to prevent sticking.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, sugar, and salt until well combined. Create a hole in the center of the mixture.
- Pour in the milk, coffee, water, vanilla, and vinegar. Mix well, then add the coconut oil and chopped dark chocolate. Mix again, then divide the batter evenly into the prepared cake molds.
- Bake the cakes for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, soak the dates in a bowl with a cup of boiling water. Once they’re soft, add them to a food processor with cocoa, vanilla, and salt. Pulse the mixture until a paste forms, then gradually add the water from the bowl until a smoother paste is formed.
- In a separate bowl, mix the date paste with grated coconut.
- Once the cakes are at room temperature, spread the date and coconut mixture on one side and top it with the other cake.
- If desired, you can cover the entire cake with the date and coconut mixture.
- To make the chocolate ganache, melt dark chocolate in a double boiler, then add a cup of coconut cream. Once melted, use the ganache to frost the cake as desired.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.