Avocado hummus is my go-to snack as it offers a burst of flavor with roasted chiles, garlic, cilantro, and avocado. It’s the perfect choice when I’m stuck between choosing a delicious hummus or guacamole.
What is hummus?
Hummus is a beloved dish in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisine. It boasts of a creamy texture and is made using cooked chickpeas, tahini (sesame paste), olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and spices.
One can find various types of hummus, including classic hummus and varieties with chili, roasted pepper, and more.
benefits of hummus
Did you know that hummus is not only delicious, but also great for your health? That’s because chickpeas, the primary ingredient in hummus, are packed with fiber, vitamins, and minerals. And let’s not forget the tahini, which adds healthy fats and calcium to this already nutritious dip. So go ahead and enjoy your hummus guilt-free!
For individuals following a vegetarian or vegan diet, hummus serves as a fantastic protein-rich option that is both convenient and easy to incorporate into meals.
I absolutely love avocados! Not only do they taste amazing, but they also offer a plethora of health benefits. This creamy green fruit is packed with healthy fats that promote heart health and maintain optimal cholesterol levels. Additionally, it’s an excellent source of fiber, essential vitamins and minerals that help boost our energy levels.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE HUMMUS WITH AVOCADO
- Chickpeas, you can use canned chickpeas or cook them at home. Remember not to throw away the liquid from the can or the one where you cooked it, aquafaba, because you can use it for many things.
- Extra virgin olive oil, use the best you can find, and that tastes deli.
- Cilantro is about a cup, but add as much as you like. It gives a lot of flavor and nutritional power.
- Serrano or jalapeño peppers, roasted
- Roasted garlic, when you roast the garlic the delicious flavor remains and there is nothing left
- Lemon juice, use what you need until it is delicious.
How to make hummus with avocado?
To prepare the serrano pepper and garlic, roast them for 5-7 minutes. You can use a skillet or a toaster oven for this. Remember to leave the skin on the garlic while roasting.
Next, add the remaining ingredients to the food processor bowl. Remember to include the roasted serrano chile and peeled garlic. Process until everything is finely ground and well combined.
To serve, place the dish in a bowl and garnish with cilantro and diced serrano pepper. Accompany it with corn tortilla chips or other chips.
Tips to make the best hummus with avocado
Chickpeas. For the best results, it is recommended that you use high-quality cooked chickpeas. You can either opt for canned chickpeas or prepare them at home.
Tahini. When making hummus, it’s important to use tahini as a key ingredient to achieve the desired texture and flavor. It’s recommended to add a sufficient amount of tahini to your recipe to achieve a smooth consistency and rich taste.
Texture. To achieve a smoother and creamier texture for your hummus, try adding a small amount of water, ice, or olive oil during the blending process. Conversely, if you prefer a thicker consistency, use less liquid. Remember to adjust the taste and consistency to your liking.
How to serve?
Serve with homemade tortilla chips, with cut vegetables or use it to make a vegetable sandwich. It is also delicious if you serve it in a bowl with quinoa and roasted vegetables.
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
- 2 cups cooked garbanzo beans home cooked or canned
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup cilantro you can use leaves and stems
- 1-2 roasted serrano chilies
- 2 cloves garlic, roasted on a griddle or toaster oven
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- To prepare, grill or roast the serrano chile and garlic in a toasting oven. Keep the garlic cloves intact with their skin on while roasting.
- Please add the remaining ingredients to the bowl of a food processor. Don't forget to peel the garlic and add it together with the chili into the food processor bowl.
- Stir the ingredients until they are thoroughly combined. Sample the mixture for seasoning and make any necessary adjustments.
- To serve, place the contents in a bowl and garnish with chopped cilantro and serrano chili pepper.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
This recipe appeared first in AleCooks in 2015.