This raw vegetable sandwich is not like any other you have tasted. This sandwich is fresh, crunchy, flavorful, and filled with good plant-based protein.
how to make a good vegan sandwich with vegetables and hummus?
You can make this sandwich without a recipe; it is a sandwich that you can prepare with whatever vegetables you have at home. This sandwich is very easy to prepare and takes no time to prepare. Here are the steps on how to make it:
First, make the chipotle hummus. This hummus recipe is a bit thicker than the normal one. The idea behind it is that you don’t want runny hummus; you want it to stay on the bread. You can prepare this recipe with or without Chipotle.
Second. Grate the vegetables. In this case, I used beets and carrots.
Third. Assemble the sandwich. Add mayonnaise to a few slices of bread, then hummus, put some lettuce leaves, vegetables, salt & pepper, and that’s it.
TIPS FOR USING HUMMUS IN SANDWICHES
- This hummus has chipotle, but you don’t have to put it if you don’t like it or add less if you’re serving this to young children. The good thing about adding it to this sandwich is that Chipotle has that delicious smoky flavor that goes perfectly with the sweetness of the carrot and beets. I add the chipotle peppers as a flavor booster.
- Try to keep the hummus you use thick; if it is a very soft hummus, it can wet the bread.
- To make sandwiches, I like to use cold hummus straight from the fridge; it stays better.
WHICH BREAD IS THE BEST FOR A VEGETABLE SANDWICH?
- The best bread is the one you like the most. I love using sprouted grain and seeded loaves of bread.
- These whole-grain loaves of bread usually have a slightly firmer texture than regular box bread.
- But you can use any loaf bread, baguette, rustic bread, whichever you like the most.
TIPS TO MAKE THE PERFECT SANDWICH
✨A super tip is to put the sandwich filling between lettuce leaves, spinach, or kale; any green will do; the idea is to protect the bread. You add mayonnaise, mustard, or whatever you want to the bread, then the greens, and on top of them, the rest of the filling.
The greens protect the sandwich bread from getting soggy and breaking on the first bite.
✨Another tip is not to assemble the sandwich until you are going to serve it. You can grate the vegetables and leave them in the fridge. You can make the hummus ahead of time and save it; add the avocado and cut it just before assembling and serving the fresh vegetable sandwich.
Here are other ideas for quick vegan dinners or lunches that are super tasty, easy, and healthy:
- Chickpea Sandwich
- Bean and kale sandwich
- Rolls with tuna salad without tuna
- Shredded Mushroom Slider with Homemade BBQ Sauce
- Sloppy joes
Here is the recipe for this vegetable sandwich, and the best thing is that in each bite, you will be surprised by the super crunch and flavor; I really hope you like it as much as I do.
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow me on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
Vegetable sandwich with chipotle hummus
- Food processor
- Box grater
- 8 slices of bread
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup grated beets
- 1 sliced avocado
- 4 handfuls of green leaves
- 1½ cup cooked and drained chickpeas or one can
- 1 garlic clove
- 1½ tablespoon tahini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chipotles in adobo (or more)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Grate the carrot and beetroot in the food processor. You can grate it together or separate.
- Prepare avocado and green leaves. Leave it aside until it’s time to put together the sandwiches.
- Put all the ingredients in the blender or food processor bowl. Mix until all ingredients are fully integrated.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Keep in mind that the hummus has to have a paste-like consistency.
- Spread the 8 slices of bread with hummus.
- Put some greens on top of each slice of bread with hummus. Add the grated carrots to four pieces of bread. Do the same with the grated beets and add them to the other four pieces of bread with hummus and greens.
- Add the avocado and close the sandwiches.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
This post was made in partnership with ONE DEGREE ORGANICS in 2017, the recipe, photos and opinions are all mine.