Indulge in a simple yet flavorful peach dessert with a flaky crust and rustic charm, perfect for summer! It is way easier to make than a homemade pie and equally delicious.
This vegan peach galette is made with whole wheat flour, vegan butter, fresh peaches, and just a touch of sugar. It’s perfect for any occasion.
About the peach galette recipe
A galette is a type of French pastry that is similar to a pie, but the dough is not as thick, and the filling is not as formal. Galettes can be made savory or with any fruit, but peaches are a classic summer choice.
I made this recipe simple so you can make it often and memorize it. Peaches are affordable and pair well with other fruits.
If you have ripe peaches that are too soft for a salad or eat fresh, use them to make a galette. You can also add other fruit like berries, apples, or prunes.
What you need
- Flour, I use all-purpose flour, but you can substitute whole wheat or spelt flour. The crust won’t be as flaky, but it’ll still be delicious.
- Sugar, use cane sugar, I usually look for one that is vegan.
- Vegan butter, substitute with solid coconut oil if you don’t like vegan butter.
- Iced water, is really important. Make the iced water first and then measure what you need
- Peaches, Peach slices that are perfectly ripe, sweet, and nectarines, plums, or apricots can be used as a substitute.
- Vanilla. You have the option to use vanilla extract, paste, or powder in your galette. Using less liquid will improve the outcome.
how to make the vegan galette
First, you have to make the crust. It is easy to make the dough by mixing the ingredients either with your hands or a food processor. If you mix with your hands, it will mean one less bowl to clean. After mixing, wrap the dough in plastic wrap and place it in the fridge for one hour or overnight. Take it out of the fridge 10 minutes before rolling.
NOTE: In the apple galette recipe post, you can see the step-by-step process to prepare the dough.
Second, prepare the fruit. Wash the peaches and cut them in half to remove the pit, then slice them into 1/4-inch slices. The galette will spend less time in the oven if you slice the peaches thinner.
Place the peach slices in a bowl, sprinkle the flour and sugar, and add the vanilla. Mix carefully but make sure all the slices are well covered.
Make the galette. Take the dough out of the fridge and let it rest for at least ten minutes. Roll the dough over a silicon mat or over a piece of parchment paper, that way the galette won’t stick and you won’t have to wash an extra piece of cookware. Roll the dough to be around ⅛ inch thick to prevent leaks.
Working from the center out, overlap peach slices in a concentric circle around the central piece. Ensure the slices are close together but not on top of each other, as you want even baking.
As you place your peach slices, leave a border of about 1.5 to 2 inches of dough around the edges. This allows you to fold the dough over the peaches later, creating that classic galette edge.
Gently fold the dough border over the peaches, pleating the dough to create a rustic edge. Brush the folded dough with oil, coconut cream, or milk for a golden finish. Bake until golden.
tips for making the best galette
- Choose your fruit or filling wisely. A galette is a perfect vehicle for showcasing seasonal fruit or a unique filling.
- Be mindful of the ratio of fruit to crust. Too much fruit will make for a soggy galette, while too little will make the crust the star of the show.
- Use a vegan egg wash to brush the crust before baking. This will give your galette a beautiful, golden brown hue. I use coconut cream or other full fat vegetable milk.
- Enjoy your galette warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
Frequently asked questions
Other recipes that you may like:
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
Vegan Peach galette
- Food processor
- 1¼ cup flour
- ½ cup vegan butter
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup iced water
- 5 peaches
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut cream or other full fat vegetable milk
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Make your dough. Add the flour, salt, and butter to your food processor (affiliate link). Pulse until it resembles wet sand. Then, let the food processor (affiliate link) run at a slow speed while you add the ice water. In about 30 seconds, you should have a perfect and manageable pie crust. Wrap in kitchen plastic and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Cut the peaches into wedges and put them in a bowl. Add the 2 tablespoons flour, sugar and the vanilla, mix well.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and spread it on a silicone mat or a piece of parchment paper. Put the peaches in the center, leave one inch of dough without the peaches.
- Fold in the edges of the dough and cover the peaches. Brush the edges with the coconut cream and sprinkle with turbinado sugar on the edges of the galette.
- Put in the oven for 20 min. or until you see the peaches are super soft and have a boiling syrup around them and the crust begins to brown.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
This recipe appeared first in August 2015.