This dessert combines the freshness and acidity of strawberries with the crunchy texture and deep flavor of an almond-based crust. It is the perfect combination for all of us who love strawberries and desserts with almonds. This is a vegan recipe.
About this recipe
This vegan dessert can be the star of a family dinner, an outdoor picnic, a special celebration, or enjoy a tasty dessert at home any day. Preparing it is very easy, and the end result is impressive.
The strawberries in the filling become shiny and delicious when cooked. This filling tastes sweet and a little sour and has a lot of strawberry flavor.
The galette is served at the time or cold, which makes it perfect for summer days. Serve the galette with whipped cream and fresh strawberries for an extra touch of freshness and beauty.
Ingredients for making a strawberry galette
- Almonds you can use whole, slivered, or slivered almonds.
- All-purpose flour
- Cane sugar and a pinch of salt
- Coconut oil can be substituted with vegan butter.
- Cold water, very cold water, ice water
- Look for strawberries that are at their perfect ripeness, sweet strawberries, and good texture.
- Balsamic vinegar or lemon juice, either works well. If you want a fresher, brighter flavor, use lemon juice. If you feel like trying a different combination with a little more depth of flavor in each bite, use balsamic vinegar.
✨ Find the complete measurements and recipe below!
How to make vegan strawberry galette
The first thing to do is to make the dough for the crust. The easiest way is to put the almonds in the food processor and pulse them until they have a fine texture. Be careful not to over-press, as they can turn into almond butter. When it is ready, put it in the refrigerator for at least half an hour.
Add the rest of the ingredients and, finally, the cold water. What I do, is that before I start, I put a bowl of water and ice and set it aside. So when you need the water ready, it’s already super cold.
For the strawberries, begin by marinating them, letting them soak up all the flavors. Once they’re well infused, gently toss them with some flour or cornstarch, ensuring they’re evenly coated. This will help thicken the juices and prevent your crust from becoming soggy.
Next, take the dough and carefully roll it out, keeping it even. Place the strawberries at the center, spreading them out and leaving a border around the edge.
Fold the edges of the dough over the strawberries, creating a rustic yet beautiful border that keeps the juices in check.
All that’s left is to bake your creation until the crust is golden and the strawberries are bubbling. Allow it to cool slightly, then slice and enjoy.
Tips for making the crust
This is a galette-type crust, a rustic tart of French origin, and very easy to make. The only thing is, when it comes to handling and stretching the dough, you have to be a little careful.
Keep the ingredients cold: The coconut oil and the water you use to make the dough must be cold. This helps keep the fat you use from melting too quickly during mixing and baking, resulting in a crispier crust.
Do not overwork the dough: When mixing and kneading the ingredients, try to do so as little as possible to avoid overdeveloping the gluten. Excessive gluten development can result in a hard crust instead of a crispy crust.
Refrigerate the dough before use: Once the dough is mixed, form it into a disk and refrigerate it for at least one hour before rolling it out. This helps the fat you use to cool, and the dough is easier to work with.
Leave a border when filling: When adding the filling to your pie, be sure to leave a border of about 2 inches around the edge. You will fold this border over the filling to form the edges of the galette.
Use parchment paper: underneath the galette; this makes it easier to disassemble and transfer it from the pan to a platter. Also, if the filler comes out, it is easier to wash the pan.😉
How to serve the vegan strawberry tart
Serve the galette with a good dollop of homemade coconut whipped cream. You can also serve it with vegan vanilla ice cream. Another idea is to serve it with a dollop of sour cream or use the homemade vegan cream I make for the strawberries and cream.
Tips for rolling out the pie dough
Dough temperature: Make sure the dough is cool enough before you start rolling it out. Cold dough is less sticky and easier to handle.
Flour your work surface: Before you start rolling out the dough, spread a thin layer of flour on your work surface or work on a piece of parchment paper. This will prevent the dough from sticking.
Use a rolling pin: The rolling pin is the most efficient tool for rolling dough. Make sure that both the rolling pin and the dough are lightly floured.
Stretch from the center: When stretching, always start from the center of the dough and work toward the edges. This helps to maintain a uniform thickness.
Rotate the dough: Rotating the dough as you stretch it can help maintain a more perfect circle and also helps you make sure the dough is not sticking to the work surface.
Keep the thickness uniform: Try to keep the dough of uniform thickness so that it cooks evenly. If some parts are thicker, they may be raw, while thinner parts may be burned.
Do not stretch the dough too much: If you stretch the dough too much, it may break or become too thin. This can cause the dough to break during baking or be soaked by the filling.
Refrigerate the dough if it gets warm: If the dough becomes too soft or sticky at any time during the stretching process, do not hesitate to refrigerate it for a few minutes so it hardens again. This will make it easier to handle.
Frequently Asked Questions
Other galette recipes that you will like:
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
Strawberry galette with almond crust
- Food processor
- Parchment paper
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch of sea salt or two pinches of kosher salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Process the almonds in a food processor until they have the consistency of flour; it does not matter if there are large pieces.
- When ready, mix them with the sugar, flour and salt.
- When all the ingredients are well integrated, add the coconut oil.
- With your hands or by pulsing the food processor, integrate it into the powders; you are looking for the consistency of wet sand.
- Add the ice water and form a ball, wrap it with paper or plastic wrap, and put it in the refrigerator until needed.
- Put the sliced strawberries in a bowl, add the vinegar, the two tablespoons of sugar, and the tablespoon of starch or flour.
- Mix well.
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator on baking paper, flatten it with your hands until you have a thinner disk, and continue stretching with a rolling pin.
- With your hands, gather the dough that is separating and stretch it until you have a sheet half a centimeter thick.
- Place the strawberries in the center of the dough and fold over the edges until you reach the edge of the strawberries.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the strawberries are bubbling.
- Let them cool for ten minutes before tasting.
- Serve with whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, or chopped almonds or pistachios.
- Be careful not to over-process the almonds, which can turn into almond butter.
- If you have leftover cake, you can store it in a container in the refrigerator, but I must warn you that the coast can become watery.
- It is best to finish the tart the day you make the cake.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.