This drunken salsa with tomatillos and beer that is finished with diced onion and avocado is one of my favorite salsas at home. Every time I prepare it, it flies. This sauce is perfect with quesadillas, tacos, empanadas, tostadas, etc. It really is a delight!
About this recipe
In Mexican cuisine, salsa borracha (drunken salsa) is very popular and there are many ways to make it. Some people make it with Tequila or Mezcal, some with pure tomato, and others with a mixture of tomatillo and tomato.
This drunken salsa recipe goes with tomatillos, which combine perfectly with beer because they are slightly acidic and a little sweet.
Cooking the tomatillos for the salsa borracha softens their texture and enhances their flavor, resulting in a balanced, super-rich salsa.
To choose the best tomatillos, look for those with soft skin and that are firm to the touch. The peel must be intact and of good size.
Check that they are not bitten by insects and that they have a fresh aroma. Before using them, peel them and wash them under cold running water.
Ingredients for Mexican beer sauce
- You can put as many serrano peppers as you want.
- Garlic, coriander
- Onion, you can use purple or white onion. Chop it as small as you like or slice it. If the flavor is too strong, put it in cold water to remove it.
- Avocado, add as much as you want.
- Beer, use a clear beer. You can use Mexican beer such as Corona or if you prefer, you can use the light beer of your choice.
✨Find the complete measurements and recipe below!
How to make salsa verde with beer?
First, cook the tomatillos, cilantro, garlic and serrano chiles in a little water. When they are soft and lighter in color they are ready to grind.
Put the vegetables, without the liquid, in a blender. Add a teaspoon of salt and the beer. Blend until everything is well blended.
Pour the sauce into a bowl and let it cool, when it is at room temperature, finish the sauce with the chopped onion and avocado cubes.
Tips to make the best sauce
- Check the seasoning of the sauce before taking it out of the blender and adjust until it is just right.
- The sauce is always better when you let it sit for a few minutes before tasting.
- Serve with homemade tortilla chips or use it for tacos or any other Mexican dish.
Other Mexican salsa recipes
- Authentic green sauce
- Molcajete sauce
- Red sauce with two ingredients
- Chiles toreados
- Salsa verde in two ways
- Mango and habanero sauce
- Tlaquepaque Sauce
- Chile de arbol sauce
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
Salsa borracha with tomatillos (Salsa verde with beer)
- Blender or food processor
- 1 lb tomatillos
- ½ bunch cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 Serrano chiles
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup beer (lager)
- ¼ onion
- 1 avocado
- Remove the husks from the tomatillos and wash them.
- Cook them with the cilantro, garlic and serrano chiles in a little water.
- When they are soft and lighter in color they are ready to grind.
- Put the vegetables, without the liquid, in a blender.
- Add a teaspoon of salt and the beer.
- Blend until everything is well blended.
- Pour the sauce into a bowl and let it cool, when it is at room temperature, finish the sauce with the chopped onion and avocado cubes.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.