Yes, this is a one-pan tomato and onion pasta recipe. What this means is that in one pan, you will cook the pasta and the sauce AT THE SAME TIME.
This pasta is wonderful for those days when you need to have dinner on the table fast when you forget to cook dinner, or for those days when your loved ones surprise you for dinner.
About this recipe
I don’t know if you’ve heard about this way of cooking pasta. It is wonderful because in the same pan you cook the pasta and make the sauce yes, all at the same time. So we can say this is a magic pasta dish or PASTA IN ONE STEP.
The general idea of this dish is that when you cook pasta in less water, all the starch that is released mixes with the other ingredients you add to the pan and makes a delicious creamy sauce.
- Pasta. Use spaguetti, fetuchini or linguine. You have to use a pasta sturdy enough to hold all the tossing around. If you want to use gluten-free pasta be sure you have used it before and it doesn’t get mushy.
- Olive oil. Use good olive oil. This pasta recipe calls for very few ingredients, so use good ones.
- Butter or vegan butter. I use Myoko’s butter. It is vegan and tastes amazing.
- Onion thinly sliced. You can use any type of onion. I normally use yellow onion but Vidalia onions would be amazing here as well.
- Salt. I use Kosher salt.
- Red pepper chili flakes. In a pinch, you could also use Calabrian chili or any other spicy substitutions that you like.
- Tomato sauce. Use canned tomato sauce or homemade tomato sauce.
- Water. You need this amount of water, remember that your pasta has to cook here and it will make the sauce.
How to make ONE-PAN TOMATO AND ONION PASTA
- In a large frying pan, put the olive oil and the vegan butter. When melted add the sliced onion. Leave the onion until translucent.
- Add the water, the salt, the dried red pepper flakes, the tomato sauce, and the pasta. All at the same time.
- Move the pasta with kitchen thongs until it is ready. Do not wait for all the liquid to be absorbed. That pasta will be ready before that. Continuously check on the pasta and when it’s al dente, it will be ready.
- Serve immediately. You can finish it with a tablespoon or two of butter or extra virgin olive oil. Julienne basil, fresh oregano, vegan parmesan cheese, or even a dash of balsamic vinegar will work great here.
tips, tricks & other recipes
In this list, you will find the best tips to make ONE-PAN TOMATO AND ONION PASTA This recipe calls for onion which makes the sauce more flavorful and, in general, the entire dish with a more delicious texture.
- To make this tomato and onion magic pasta recipe it is better to choose a large pan or a pot that’s not very deep. I love a good cast iron braising pan.
- When you put the onion into the vegan butter and olive oil, do not let it brown, the idea is that it becomes translucent. And it is much better if you add it in very thin slices.
- I use Myoko’s brand for my vegan butter, I love this brand because the butter is made mainly with cashews (affiliate link).
- To add the dried chili is totally optional. You can add oregano or basil if you wish.
- While cooking the pasta, is important to keep it under the liquid at all times.
- Move the pasta in the onion and tomato sauce constantly to prevent it from sticking.
- Before putting all the ingredients in the pot, be sure that the linguine fits in the pan. Make sure that the ends are not sticking out.
- I love to have this pasta dish with a good glass of red wine on the side.
For me, this pasta is perfect for the days that I have super busy afternoons or even when I forget to cook dinner. Does this happen to you as well? Do you forget to cook dinner also? 🙈 Here’s a completely vegan menu in case you have more time.
- Vegan Caesar salad
- This vegan pasta dish
- Homemade bread
- For dessert a creamy and delicious chocolate mousse
Other recipes that you may like:
So here is the recipe for this ONE PAN TOMATO AND ONION PASTA and I hope you like it as much as we do. Please share the recipe and blog on Instagram, FB or save it for later on Pinterest.
ONE PAN TOMATO AND ONION PASTA
- 1 lb linguine package
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter or vegan butter
- ½ onion thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper chili flakes
- 1½ cups tomato sauce
- 4 cups water
- In a large frying pan put the olive oil and the vegan butter. When melted add the sliced onion. Leave the onion until translucent.
- Add the water, the salt, the dried chili, the tomato and the pasta.
- Move the pasta with some kitchen thongs until it is ready. Do not wait for all the liquid to be abosrbed. That pasta will be ready before that.
- Serve inmidiately.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Sarten con tapa / Dutch oven braiserBuy Now →
- Mexican White Rice - June 9, 2023
- How to make whipped cream with aquafaba? - June 8, 2023
- Strawberry Galette with almond crust - June 7, 2023