This easy one-pot pasta recipe with tomatoes and onions is the perfect school night dinner recipe. You make it without boiling the pasta first; it is a quick and easy dinner option. This is a one-pan pasta recipe where you simultaneously cook the pasta and sauce. WOW, I know.
About this recipe
I am not sure if you have heard of this method of cooking pasta, but it is amazing because you can cook the pasta and make the sauce in the same pan simultaneously. This results in a delightful vegan pasta dish, all in one step.
The dish is made by cooking pasta in less water, allowing the released starch to mix with other ingredients, creating a creamy sauce.
What is one pan pasta?
One pan pasta is a cooking method where pasta and sauce are prepared together in a single pan or skillet, resulting in a quick, easy, and flavorful dish that requires fewer dishes to wash.
Ingredients for vegan one pot pasta recipe
Pasta. Use spaghetti, fettuccine, or linguine that can hold all the tossing. If using gluten-free pasta, ensure it doesn’t get mushy.
Olive oil and butter. For this pasta recipe, it is important to use high-quality olive oil since there are only a few ingredients. I use Myoko’s butter, it is vegan and tastes amazing.
Onion. Thinly slice any type of onion, such as yellow or Vidalia.
Red pepper chili flakes. You could also use Calabrian chili or any other spicy substitutions you like in a pinch.
Tomato sauce. Use canned tomato sauce or homemade tomato sauce.
How to make ONE-PAN TOMATO PASTA
Saute the onion. Put olive oil and vegan butter in a large straight-sided pan, cast iron braiser, or 12-inch saute pan. When melted, add the sliced onion. Leave the onion until translucent.
Add the ingredients. Add all the ingredients to the pan, including water, salt, dried red pepper flakes, tomato sauce, and pasta. It’s okay if you feel like there’s too much liquid.
Stir. When the liquid starts to boil, use kitchen tongs to stir the pasta until al dente. Don’t wait for all liquid to absorb. This will take between nine to ten minutes.
Serve immediately. Garnish with a tablespoon of butter or extra virgin olive oil. Additionally, fresh basil, fresh oregano, vegan parmesan cheese, or a dash of balsamic vinegar will all work well.
tips for making one pot pasta
- Choose the right pan. To make this tomato and onion pasta recipe, it’s best to use a large, shallow pan. I prefer cast iron braising pans.
- When adding the onion to the vegan butter and olive oil, slice it thinly and ensure it becomes translucent without browning.
- I prefer using Myoko’s brand vegan butter because it’s cashew-based.
- Adding dried chili is optional. Oregano or basil can be used instead. You could also add garlic, cherry tomatoes, spinach and some sprigs basil.
- While cooking pasta, it’s important to keep it fully submerged in liquid. Constantly stir the pasta in the onion and tomato sauce to prevent it from sticking.
- Make sure the long pasta fits in the pan before adding ingredients. Ensure the ends aren’t sticking out.
- A good salad, like the kale salad or a Vegan Caesar salad
- Roasted vegetables
- Homemade bread
- For dessert a creamy and delicious chocolate mousse
BEst pan for the one pot pasta recipe
Choosing the appropriate pan for one-pan pasta is crucial. To prevent pasta from sticking and ensure even cooking, you must adhere to the following recommended characteristics for the best pan for this dish:
Large and Wide: The sauté pan or skillet should be large enough to accommodate the pasta lying flat, ensuring even cooking and minimizing breakage. If you use a skillet, it must be a large, wide skillet with a heavy bottom, preferably made of stainless steel or cast iron. It works great. If you have a 12-inch or larger skillet, it should suffice for most one-pan pasta recipes.
High Sides: To prevent overflow while cooking pasta and contain ingredients easily.
Heavy Bottom: This ensures even heat distribution, which is crucial to cook the pasta uniformly and to prevent it from sticking. Use a good stainless steel pan or a cast iron like Le Creuset or Staub.
Frequently ASKED questions
Other recipes that you may like:
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
Simple Vegan One-Pan Pasta with Tomatoes and Onions
- Kitchen thongs
- 12-inch or larger skillet or cast iron braiser
- 1 pound linguine spaghetti or angel hair
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter or vegan butter
- ½ onion thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper chili flakes
- 1½ cups tomato sauce
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- In a large skillet or saute pan, melt the olive oil and vegan butter. Add sliced onions and cook until translucent.
- To the pan add tomato sauce, red chili pepper flakes, and water. Stir the pasta with kitchen thongs until it is ready about 9 to 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately. Garnish with fresh basil.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.