This crunchy salad is full of awesome flavors and textures. The base of this super nutritious salad is little gem lettuce. On top is fresh and delicious vegetables filled with the colors of the rainbow, fresh herbs, mango, and a spectacular dressing of cashews with Sriracha.
What is a crunchy salad?
A salad can be called “crunchy” when it contains ingredients that provide a crisp or “crunchy” texture when chewed. These ingredients can be fresh vegetables such as iceberg lettuce, cucumbers, carrots, peppers, celery, etc.
The word “crunchy” is used to describe that satisfying sensation obtained when biting into a food that produces a perceptible sound, such as a “crunch”.
In the case of salads, this often adds an additional dimension of pleasure to the eating experience, as salads are often seen as a lighter or milder meal option. Adding a crunchy element can make the salad more interesting and appealing to some people.
Ingredients to make the crunchy salad
- You can select either little gem lettuce or romaine for this recipe. Alternatively, you have the option to use iceberg lettuce, green cabbage, or any other lettuce you have around.
- Thinly sliced red cabbage.
- Carrots in ribbons, sliced or julienne.
- Mango, use a ripe mango, but one that keeps its shape. The mango can be sliced or diced.
- Avocado, same as mango. Use a firm avocado and cut it into slices.
- Cilantro and mint
- Nuts to finish
- Spicy cashews dressing
how to make crunchy salad?
First the vegetables must be prepared. Wash the lettuce, cut the cabbage, prepare the carrot as you like.
Put the vegetables in a bowl and season them very well, I like to use tongs to make sure all the vegetables are well covered. When they are ready, transfer them to an extended plate.
Transferring them to an extended plate is not 100% necessary, I do it because I believe that presentation is always important and this salad looks more appetizing on an extended plate.
What is the best way to wash lettuce?
Remove the outer leaves: The outer leaves of lettuce are usually the most exposed to soil, insects and pesticides, so it is best to remove them.
Disassemble the lettuce: If it is a head of lettuce, remove the leaves one by one. If it is romaine or iceberg lettuce, you can cut it in half or in quarters and then separate the leaves.
Rinse under cold water: Place the lettuce leaves under cold running water. Move the leaves around to make sure the water reaches all areas, especially folds and crevices.
Soak in a bowl of water: After rinsing, fill a large bowl with cold water and put a drop or two of vegetable cleaner, I use Dr. Bronners, and place the leaves in the water. Move the leaves around with your hands to help loosen any residue. Let the leaves soak for a few minutes. and rinse again.
Dry lettuce: Use a salad spinner if you have one. If not, you can place the lettuce leaves on paper towels or a clean kitchen towel and air dry them. Try to shake off excess water before doing this to speed up the drying process.
Frequently asked questions about crunchy salad
What makes a salad crisp? A salad is considered crisp when it includes ingredients that provide a firm, crunchy texture, such as fresh lettuces, greens such as carrots and cucumbers, and sometimes nuts or toasted seeds.
How do I keep my salad crispy? Keep the salad ingredients separate until you are ready to serve. Also, dry the vegetables well after washing to prevent excess water from making them soft.
Can I prepare the crunchy salad ahead of time? Yes, you can prepare the ingredients in advance, but we recommend that you combine the ingredients and add the dressing just before serving to maintain the crunchy texture.
What type of lettuce is best for a crisp salad? Iceberg and romaine lettuce are good choices for a crisp salad because of their firm texture. Green leaf lettuce and butter may also work, but they are a little less crunchy.
Will the dressing make my crunchy salad mushy? If you leave the dressing on the salad for a long period of time, it can soften the crunchy ingredients. That is why it is best to add the dressing just before serving.
What is the best way to store my crunchy salad? Store your crunchy salad ingredients in separate airtight containers in the refrigerator. This will help keep them fresh and crisp.
Other salad recipes that you may like
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
- Salad bowl
- 4 cups salad greens of your choice we like romaine lettuce and Little Gem lettuce mixes
- 2 cups thinly sliced purple cabbage
- 1 cup julienned carrots shredded or thinly sliced
- 1 mango peeled and cut in julienne or thin slices
- 1 avocado cut in half and sliced
- ½ cup mixed fresh herbs a mix of mint, cilantro and basil
- ½ cup roasted cashews chopped
- Spicy cashew dressing
- First the vegetables must be prepared.
- Wash the lettuce, cut the cabbage, prepare the carrot as you like.
- Then you have to prepare the cashews dressing, it is very easy, just put the ingredients in the blender and leave it until it is creamy and perfect.
- Put the vegetables in a bowl and season them very well, I like to use tongs to make sure all the vegetables are well covered.
- When they are ready, transfer them to an extended plate.
- Transferring them to an extended plate is not 100% necessary, I do it because I believe that presentation is always important and this salad looks more appetizing on an extended plate.
- Finish the salad with fresh herbs, mango slices, avocado and toasted walnuts and cashews.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.