Mango lassi is a smooth, sweet mixture of yogurt, ripe mangoes, and sometimes a touch of spices. It is like summer is bottled in every glass, with the sweet tropical flavor of mango and the refreshing creaminess of yogurt. This is the vegan version.
What is mango lassi?
Mango lassi is a traditional Indian drink that combines ripe mango, yogurt, and sometimes a pinch of spices. It is super tasty for a delicious and healthy refreshment.
It is considered a refreshing and nutritious summer drink, ideal for combatting heat. In India, lassi is widely consumed during summer, when mangoes are at their best.
The traditional mango lassi recipe uses cow’s milk yogurt, but a vegan version can also be made using plant-based yogurt and milk.
Ingredients for lassi
- Mango, choose a sweet mango that is very ripe.
- Yogurt choose one that is vegan and unflavored, my favorite is cashew.
- Vegetable milk or coconut water, or even water, but if your yogurt is not thick, you may not need more liquid.
- Sweetener, not always necessary, it depends on the mango. If necessary, use cane sugar or maple syrup.
- Spices you can use cardamom or cinnamon to finish.
How to make mango lassi?
As easy as putting everything in the blender and that’s it. If you feel that the lassi is too thick, add a little water or coconut water.
Tips to make the best mango lassi
Ripe mangoes. To make a delicious mango lassi, it is important to use ripe mangoes.
Yogurt. Yogurt is another key ingredient for making lassi. Use a good quality unsweetened plain yogurt. If you want a richer, creamier flavor, choose a whole yogurt. For a lighter option, you can use low-fat yogurt.
Adjust sweetness to taste. The amount of sugar depends a lot on the mangoes and your personal preferences. You can always start with less and add more if necessary.
Add spices if you like Although not mandatory, adding a little cardamom transforms this mango drink into something spectacular. Or finish with fresh mint as I did.
Serve well chilled. It really tastes 1000 times better when you serve it with lots of ice.
Use a high-powered blender If your blender is less powerful, you may need to blend the ingredients for a longer time.
Other mango recipes you may like:
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
- 1 large ripe mango peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 cup plain vegan yogurt
- 1/2 cup almond milk coconut milk, coconut water or coconut water
- 2 tablespoons sugar or to taste (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder optional
- Ice to taste
- Make sure your mango is ripe.
- Peel and cut into pieces.
- In the blender jug, add the mango chunks, yogurt, liquid, sugar, and cardamom powder (if using).
- Blend all ingredients until a homogeneous mixture is obtained.
- Taste the mixture.
- If you prefer a sweeter lassi, add a little more sugar.
- If you prefer a thinner lassi, add a little more milk.
- Serve your lassi in glasses with ice and enjoy immediately.
- You can garnish each glass with some fresh mango, mint, or cardamom powder.
If you have any leftovers, freeze them using a popsicle mold.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.