This vegan recipe for loaded sweet potatoes with BBQ lentils and topped with spicy crunchy slaw is one of my favorite lunches ever. I love how easy it is to make. It is a perfect recipe for meal prep and is as healthy and delicious as no other loaded sweet potato.
What does this lentil-loaded sweet potato taste like?
The idea of eating the red cabbage slaw and sweet potato probably doesn’t sound as good. But believe me; it does taste amazing. The sweetness of the sweet potatoes goes perfectly well with the sweet and spicy flavor of the bbq lentils.
And the smokiness of the chipotle in the slaw dressing brings together the flavors for the perfect bite.
Where does this recipe come from?
I got inspired to create this recipe from a restaurant’s menu. The loaded sweet potato in that restaurant had brisket and other ingredients that I did not eat. But they had a vegetarian option made with black beans.
So I ordered it. It was excellent but still lacking in flavor and texture. So I got home and created my version of it.
bbq lentils and crunchy spicy slaw LOADED SWEET POTATO
- Sweet potatoes can be cooked in water, in the air-fryer, or in the oven.
- Red cabbage. It can be green cabbage or any other kind of cabbage like Napa or Brussels sprouts. The important thing is that it is thinly sliced and fresh, giving each bite a crunchy texture.
- Vegan mayonnaise you can use Veganaise or homemade mayo.
- Lemon or lime. Olive Oil
- Chipotle powder, substitute with any other chile or spicy sauce. Chipotle in Adobo sauce also works great here.
- Cooked lentils, you can use black beans (home-cooked or canned), quinoa, or even brown rice.
- BBQ sauce, you can use homemade or store-bought bbq sauce
HOW TO MAKE STUFFED SWEET POTATOES?
- Cook the sweet potatoes. Boil them, roast them, or pop them in the air fryer (affiliate link). Cook until soft, or you stick a knife, and it offers no resistance.
- Prepare the lentils. You can use already cooked lentils, canned beans, really whatever you have on hand. To prepare them, you have to put them in a pan and heat them with the BBQ sauce.
- Make the chipotle dressing. Super easy to mix the ingredients together. If you like the dressing, double it and use it on sandwiches, in tacos, or in other salads like in the roasted cauliflower taco recipe.
- Slice the cabbage. To make this salad you can slice the cabbage by hand or use the food processor (affiliate link).
🌱TIP I am of the idea that the more colors we have in the plate, the more nutrients we have and this dish is super colorful. Which at the end gives us so many good things for our body.
HOW and when TO SERVE loaded SWEET POTATOes?
You can serve this bbq lentil-loaded sweet potato as a starter or a main dish. This type of vegan food is a complete dish in terms of flavor and nutrients. You have the salad, the legume, and the carbohydrate.
Everything comes together in one word, which is perfect and natural. If you want, you can have it with rice, quinoa, or other steamed grains.
Other recipes that you may like:
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow me on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
Loaded sweet potatoes
- Baking sheets
- Food processor
- 4 sweet potatoes
- olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper
Spicy crunchy slaw
- 5 cups red cabbage 1 cabbage head
- 1/3 cup vegan mayo
- lemon juice to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 1/2 cup cooked lentils
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Put the sweet potatoes on a prepared baking sheet, rub them with olive oil and season. Put them in the oven and leave them there until they offer no resistance when pinched with a fork.
How to prepare the lentils
- In a frying pan, heat the lentils together with the bbq sauce. Adjust salt and pepper, season them well, sometimes I add a little ground chipotle while they are heating up.
How to make the crunchy spicy slaw
- Slice the cabbage as thinly as you can or use the food processor with the slicing attachment.
- In a separate bowl, mix the vegan mayonnaise with the lemon juice, a pinch of salt, and the chipotle. Toss the cabbage with the dressing just before serving.
How to put everything together.
- To prepare the sweet potatoes, make a cut in the center of each one without reaching the bottom. Open carefully and add a tablespoon or two of the lentils to the center of each. Finish with a tablespoon or two of the spicy crunchy slaw.
Chipotle powder can be substituted for canned chipotle in adob sauce
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- Celery Juice: Discover its Properties and Benefits - May 29, 2023
- Healthy Potato Salad with Pesto Recipe | Easy and Flavorful - May 28, 2023
- QUINOA STUFFED POBLANO PEPPERS, CHILES RELLENOS - May 26, 2023