These scrambled tofu and veggie burritos are perfect to take to the beach, on a road trip, or to have ready in the fridge for breakfast or lunch. The best thing is that you can make them 100% to your liking.
About this recipe
Tofu is an incredibly versatile ingredient that is rich in protein that absorbs whatever flavors you want to give it. In this recipe, the tofu is scrambled and has a lot of vegetables and green leaves.
Ingredients to make the tofu for the burritos
- Firm or extra-firm tofu
- Turmeric powder
- Dried oregano
- Soy sauce
- Neutral flavor oil
- Sliced red onion
- Sliced roasted red bell pepper
Ingredients For the burritos
- Tortillas for burritos
- Green leaves
- Chipotle mayonnaise (chipotle-mayo)
How to make burritos with tofu
Start by removing the tofu from the package and drain it very well. Place it on paper towels to absorb the water. To prepare the tofu, crumble it with your hands, and add salt, oregano, soy sauce, and turmeric.
In a frying pan, add the oil and then the onion. When browned, add the bell pepper and tofu. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until tofu is dry and vegetables are crisp.
Now, let’s assemble the burritos! Place a tortilla, add a quarter of an avocado, and mash it, then add the tofu, chipotle mayonnaise if using, and a large handful of greens. Roll the burrito and cover with baking paper and aluminum foil.
Tips to make them richer
- You can use the recipe for scrambled tofu or prepare it from scratch.
- Add chipotle chili in adobo sauce or dried chipotle chili to the tofu mixture.
- You can add refried beans or pork beans.
- Don’t forget to season the greens with a dash of lemon and salt; they always look better.
- Use large special tortillas for burritos when you can get them; it is always better.
- Don’t overfill the tortilla with the filling; you don’t want it to come out all over the place.
How to wrap a burrito
- Tortilla: Place the tortilla flat on a plate or chopping board .
- Add the ingredients: Place your ingredients in the center of the tortilla. Don’t overload your burrito, or you’ll have a harder time wrapping it.
- Fold in the ends: Fold the left and right sides of the tortilla toward the center over the ingredients.
- Fold the bottom edge: Now, take the bottom edge of the tortilla and fold it over the ingredients, pushing them in slightly.
- Wrap the burrito: With the ingredients tightly wrapped around the bottom edge, roll the burrito forward to the top edge, creating a tight roll.
- Finish wrapping: Make sure the burrito is well wrapped, and the ingredients are sealed inside.
- Optional – Aluminum foil or baking paper: If you want your burrito to stay wrapped, especially if it is to go, you can wrap it in aluminum foil or baking paper. Place your wrapped burrito on one end of the paper, and then wrap the paper around the burrito the same way you wrapped the tortilla.
Other recipes that you will like:
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow me on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
Scrambles tofu burritos with fresh vegetables
- 1 Frying pan
For the tofu:
- 1 16 oz block of firm or extra firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup red onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup roasted red pepper, sliced
- 2 large handfuls of spinach kale, or any other green leafy vegetable
For the burritos:
- 6 burrito-sized tortillas or corn tortillas
- green leafy vegetables
- chipotle mayo
- Start by taking the tofu out of the package and draining it well. Put it on paper towels to absorb the water. Meanwhile, you can start slicing the onion, preparing the pepper and the leafy greens.
- To prepare the tofu, crumble it with your hands, add the salt, oregano, soy sauce, and turmeric. Here you have the option to add a bit of chipotle powder or adobo sauce for an extra touch of flavor. Mix everything together well.
- In a pan, add the oil and then the onion. When it’s golden, add the pepper and the tofu. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until the tofu is dry and the vegetables are crispy.
- Now, let’s assemble the burritos! Place a tortilla, add a quarter of an avocado and smash it, then add the tofu, chipotle mayo if you’re using it, and a large handful of leafy greens.
- Roll up the burrito and cover with baking paper and aluminum foil.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.