These spicy potatoes with pico de gallo and avocado are the perfect Mexican side dish. The spicy potatoes are crispy on their own, but with the fresh and bright flavors of the pico de gallo and the creaminess of the avocado, you will have the perfect and straightforward Mexican side dish.
About this recipe
Pico de gallo is one of my favorite salsas ever. I love to finish salads or tacos or even have them as a snack or party food. I mean, who doesn’t love chips and salsa?
For me, pico de Gallo is that little extra something you add to a dish to boost its flavor and texture. But if you combine this salsa with spicy roasted potatoes, you get an out-of-this-world side dish.
Ingredientes for this mexicna pototo recipe
- Spicy roasted potatoes (fingerlings): to make them, you need olive oil, garlic powder, ancho chili powder, or chipotle chili powder, and salt
- Pico de Gallo, Pico de gallo is a fresh, uncooked salsa made from chopped tomatoes, onions, chiles, and cilantro.
tips for roasting potatoes
- These Mexican crispy potatoes are made in the oven, not fried, making them healthier.
- If you wonder how to roast potatoes? Don’t worry; it is the simplest thing in the world. It is as simple as coating them with oil, salt, and other spices and putting them in a hot oven.
- If you don’t have small potatoes, cut the ones you have more or less the same small size.
- I always put parchment paper on my baking trays. That way, it is easier to wash the baking sheet, and we do not cook our food directly on aluminum.
Coating them in fat will give you the perfect roasted potato, crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside. It is important though that all the potatoes are about the same size. I prefer to use new potatoes, fingerlings or small potatoes for this Mexican side dish. You want the potatoes to cook fast so the delicious spices do not burn.
tips for making the best pico de gallo
- Working with raw onions. If your family does not like the taste of the onion so much, mince it and rinse it in super cold water. This takes away the strong bite.
- Another idea to remove the strong bite from the onion is to put it first in the bowl you are using to make the Mexican potato recipe and let it rest with the lemon juice for about five minutes.
- Use cherry, Roma, or heirloom tomatoes to make it.
Remember that it is better to let the potatoes cool down before mixing them with the pico de gallo and avocado. We don’t want the heat of the potatoes to cook or wilt the pico de Gallo.
When to serve this spicy potato side dish?
These crispy and spicy roasted Mexican potatoes are a dream as a side dish or an appetizer. They are crisp, tender, fresh, bright, and healthy-ish.
This is the perfect vegetarian Mexican dish, so feel free to serve it any time, they go perfectly with anything, and everybody loves them.
Other Mexican potato recipes that you may like:
- Potato and cilantro soup
- Mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes with vegan chipotle queso
- Potato soup with red bell pepper
- Crispy potato tacos
So here is the recipe for these roasted potatoes and pico de gallo and I hope you like them as much as I do. If you do, please share the recipe and blog on Instagram or FB or save it for later on Pinterest.
ROASTED POTATOES AND PICO DE GALLO
- Baking sheets
FOR THE POTATOES
- 2 lb fingerlings or other small potatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder or chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
PICO DE GALLO
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- a pinch of salt
- 1 avocado diced
- Turn the oven on to 450ºF.
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash, dry and cut the potatoes in half and put them in the center of the baking sheet.
- In a separate bowl mix the oil, the chili powder, the garlic powder and the salt. Add this mixture to the potatoes, and with your hands, make sure they are well covered. Spread them on a tray and put in the oven for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, cut the tomatoes, onion, cilantro, and avocado. Mix carefully and add a pinch of salt.
- Take the potatoes out of the oven and let them cool for about 10 minutes and put the pico de gallo with avocado on top.
- Serve immediately.
If you do not like chipotle chili or ancho chili, do not use it.
Use ground chipotle chili powder if you like your dish to be spicier.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.