I love making this recipe for roasted potatoes with za’atar and lemon when I need a quick and delicious dinner option or side dish. It’s a must-try for anyone looking for an easy and tasty meal at home.
WHAT IS ZA’ATAR
Za’atar is a culinary mixture of spices typical in the Middle EastHerbses and use may vary depending on the region, but it is usually used to season typical dishes or finish off hummus, pitas, or vegetables.
Za’atar is a mixture of spices widely used in middle eastern cuisine; you can buy it or make it yourself. It has cumin, oregano, and sesame seeds, among other species.
WHAT ARE THE SPICES IN ZA TAR?
It is usually a mixture of sumac (the most important), oregano, marjoram or thyme, cumin, and coriander seeds. In some cases, it also has toasted sesame seeds and salt.
🔥 What is sumac? Sumac or zumaque as it is knonwn in Spanish, is a spice obtained from a shrub called Rhus. It is bright red in color and has a slightly fruity flavor and has an acidic note. It's delicious.
HOW TO MAKE ROAST POTATOES
I like to make them in the oven because I pop them in and forget about them, but you can also make them over.
- Mix the marinade ingredients in a small bowl.
- Put the potatoes on a baking sheet. You can put parchment paper or a silicone mat on the baking sheet. Cover the potatoes with a mixture of spices, lemon, and oil.
- Put the potatoes in the oven until they are fully cooked. When poked with a fork, they offer no resistance.
- Finish with a little more za atar, fresh oregano, or coarse salt.
HOW TO SERVE THE POTATOES?
When they’re done, some of the perfect blends of oil and spices are left on the bottom. Serve the potatoes on top of hummus, a green leafy salad, on top of brown rice, lentils, or mixed with chickpeas. And do not forget to add the remaining marinade to the potatoes after cooked.
Other recipes you may like:
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
Roasted fingerlings with lemon and za’atar
- 1/2 cup avocado oil or any other oil
- 2 garlic cloves pressed or minced
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons of za’atar or more depends on your taste
- 2 lbs of small potatoes 1 kg, fingerlings
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a jar mix the oil, salt, lemon juice and za’atar.
- Put the potatoes on top of a special paper for the oven, parchment, and slowly empty the marinade.
- Do not put all the jokes that are well-covered potatoes but not swimming in the marinade.
- Bake until the potatoes is fully cooked.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.