Chana Masala is a popular vegetarian dish from India. It is made with chickpeas, also known as chana, and a blend of spices and herbs, such as cumin, coriander, turmeric, and garam masala. The dish is often garnished with fresh cilantro and lemon juice.
About this recipe
Chana Masala is usually served with rice, naan bread, or roti and is a staple dish in many Indian households. It can be found in restaurants worldwide and is a popular dish among vegetarians and vegans due to its high-protein content from chickpeas.
There are many variations of Chana Masala, and different regions of India have their own unique take on the dish. Some recipes include tomatoes, while others use yogurt or coconut milk to create a creamy texture. Overall, Chana Masala is a flavorful and nutritious dish that many people worldwide enjoy.
CHANA MASALA INGREDIENTS
- Vegetable oil. You can use any vegetable oil or coconut oil or ghee (there is vegan ghee)
- Onion, ginger, and garlic. Chop the garlic and onion as finely as you can and grate the ginger with a zester (lemon zest grater)
- Spices, I use ground spices, but you can still use seeds. You can get garam masala online or in the spice section of your supermarket. If you want, you can add a teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- Chickpeas. You can use cooked at home or canned. I use a can.
- Tomato puree, use natural or canned tomatoes. If you use natural tomato, you have to let it cook longer.
- Green Indian chiles, but if you can’t use jalapeños or serrano chiles, totally optional.
HOW TO MAKE CHANA MASALA
Start by seasoning the garlic and onion. When they are beginning to brown, add the ginger and spices. Leave for 30 seconds maximum.
Add the chickpeas, tomato, and serrano pepper. Let cook for a few more minutes until the chickpeas are heated and combined with the spices mixture. Add salt to taste and mix well.
HOW TO SERVE CHANA MASALA
Serve hot over white rice with fresh coriander leaves and a squeeze of lime juice. You can also serve it with naan on the side. Or, if you want something healthier, serve it over quinoa or brown rice.
Other vegan recipes with chickpeas
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow me on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
- 1 10-12 in skillet
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 piece fresh ginger grated, about a tablespoon
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas, 2 cans drained save the liquid
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 1 serrano chile
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- Start by seasoning the garlic and onion. When they are beginning to brown, add the ginger and spices. Leave for 30 seconds maximum.Add the chickpeas, tomato, and serrano pepper. Let cook for a few more minutes until the chickpeas are heated and combined with the spices mixture. Add salt to taste and mix well.
If it’s too thick, add a little water, like 1/4 cup.
If you want to save Chana Masala put it in a container when it is cold. Store in the refrigerator for 3 days or freeze for up to three months.
To reheat, put it in a pan with a little water or heat it in the microwave. Adjust the seasoning and serve with fresh cilantro and lemon juice.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- the best, best prosecco mimosa - April 1, 2023
- Roastedtomatillo chipotle salsa - March 31, 2023
- Coconut Mango Chia Seed Pudding Recipe (Easy, Delicious, And Vegan) - March 31, 2023