Vegan Toffee is a crunchy treat with a deliciously creamy chocolate coating on top and coarsely chopped roasted almonds, and a touch of salt. This sweet and salty treat is perfect for the Holidays and to share with friends and family.
Why I love this recipe
- Perfect gift. Vegan toffee is perfect for dessert, a hostess or Christmas gift, or an after-dinner surprise for your whole family.
- Custumizable. Finsh with any type of nut that you like, or candy, dried flowers, salt. You choose.
- Make ahead. Make it ahead of time and store in a dry cool place.
What is toffee?
A hard toffee is a candy made by combining sugar and butter. The mixture is then cooked until it becomes hard and brittle. Hard toffee is often flavored with vanilla or chocolate.
This is a vegan toffe recipe made with vegan butter, dark chocolate, and cane sugar.
- Vegan butter or margarine. I like to use dairy-free butter like Miyokos, Flora, or any other brand with no strong margarine flavor.
- Sugar. I use brown sugar to make the toffee a little darker than normal. White sugar works perfectly here. I like to use organic sugar and preferably vegan. Some sugar is filtered into charred bones, so I look for vegan brands.
- Vanilla extract.
- Dark chocolate. I use dark chocolate because it does not have milk or anything else.
- Maldon Salt or any other finishing salt.
- Almonds or any other seed or nuts. Like cashews, walnuts, peanuts, pecans or pistachios, mints or pretzels, or whatever you like best.
- This is the basic vegan toffee recipe; adapt it, and finish it with what you like the most. If you want this recipe to be nut-free, finish the toffee with chopped candy canes, sesame seeds, or sprinkles.
🖐BE•CAREFUL🖐 Please be very careful when making this vegan chocolate toffee. When making it you have to take the butter and sugar to really high temperatures, so the mixture can be a bit dangerous. Before preparing this recipe or any other, double check that there is nothing in the kitchen that you can trip over, that there are no small children around, etc.
Tools YOU NEED
- The most important thing for this recipe is to have a pot that resists the heat of high temperatures. A 4qt size dutch oven is perfect for this toffee recipe. The sides are high enough to protect you from the hot candy.
- It would help if you also had a candy thermometer, a baking sheet, parchment paper, or a silicone mat.
HOW to make TOFFEE AT HOME? TWO STEPS
Add the sugar, butter, and water in a pot, heat over medium heat, and simmer until it reaches hard crack candy temperature, 305ºF.
You turn off the heat, mix the vanilla in, and pour it into your prepared baking sheet into an even layer.
Let it cool for a minute, sprinkle the chocolate chips on top, and carefully spread the melted chocolate into a thin layer with a spatula when it melts. Finish it up with toasted almonds and salt.
Other recipes that you may like:
So here is the recipe for this homemade vegan toffee that is so good, and I hope you like it a lot. When you make it, please take a photo and share it on Instagram or FaceBook.
If you make this recipe later, don’t forget to save it on Pinterest and leave your comments, suggestions, or ideas at the bottom. It would also be fantastic if you gave this recipe five stars.
- Candy thermometer
- Parchment paper
- 250 grams sugar
- 250 grams vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 150 grams dark chocolate in pieces
- salt flakes
- 100 grams toasted almonds, roughly chopped
- Prepare all the ingredients and have them ready and on hand. Have the thermometer ready and the baking shet prepared with the parchment paper or the silicone mat.
- Add the sugar, butter, and 2 tablespoons of water into a saucepan. Turn on medium heat and stir until it reaches a temperature of 305ºF. The mark on the thermometer says, "hard-crack."
- Turn off the heat and mix in the vanilla.
- With great care and with good pair of kitchen gloves, empty the caramel on the prepared baking sheet. Let it cool for a minute and sprinkle the chocolate pieces on top. With a spatula, spread the chocolate over the caramel.
- Immediately sprinkle the almond pieces and a pinch of salt.
- Let cool completely, break into pieces and store in a tightly closed container.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.