A detox salad is a salad whose purpose is to cleanse and nourish the body. It typically consists of vegetables, fruits, and other ingredients rich in nutrients and antioxidants, which help support the body’s natural detoxification process.
A detox salad can be delicious and satisfying if you want to cleanse your body, improve your digestion, or incorporate more nutrients into your diet.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Kale is a highly nutritious leafy green vegetable packed with vitamins, minerals, and other beneficial compounds. It is a good source of fiber.
- Bell peppers are nutritious and flavorful vegetables that can be enjoyed cooked or raw. Bell peppers are a good source of vitamins C and A and several other important vitamins and minerals such as potassium, folic acid, and vitamin B6.
- Apples are a popular and nutritious fruit high in fiber and packed with vitamins and minerals.
- Broccoli is an excellent source of vitamins C and K, dietary fiber, and minerals. It is also a good source of antioxidants, which may help to protect against oxidative stress and reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease.
- Scallions, also known as green onions or spring onions, are a type of onion that has a milder flavor than regular onions. They are a good source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamins K, C, and potassium.
- Carrots are exceptionally high in vitamin A, and good for vision, skin health, and immune function. Carrots also contain antioxidants, which may help protect against certain diseases.
- Sesame seeds are high in minerals, such as calcium, iron, and zinc, and vitamins, such as B vitamins and vitamin E. Sesame seeds also contain antioxidants and healthy fats.
Make a quick dressing for your salad
Mix rice vinegar, roasted sesame seeds oil, and vegetable oil in a small bowl and set it apart—recipe in the recipe card.
Instead of the dressing, you could dress the salad in lime or lemon juice, olive oil, and a pinch of salt. You could also make a simple vinaigrette or a creamy cilantro dressing.
How to wash and prep kale for a salad?
To prepare kale for salad, you must start washing the kale thoroughly to remove any dirt or debris. You can also use a salad spinner to dry the kale after washing it.
Then, remove the stems from the leaves and discard them. You can tear the leaves into bite-sized pieces by hand or use a knife to slice them into thin strips.
How to make the best detox salad
In a large salad bowl (affiliate link), place the clean and stemmed kale. Tear the kale leaves into bite-size pieces. Add half a teaspoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Next, massage the kale with your hands for a few minutes to soften the leaves and make them more palatable.
Add the remaining ingredients, slowly add the dressing (one tablespoon at a time), and mix. Be sure not to overdress your salad. Finish with sesame seeds.
Tips for making the best detox salad
- Add more vegetables. Add cucumber, brussels sprouts, cauliflower florets, or red cabbage.
- Add fresh herbs. Fresh parsley, dill, basil, mint, etc.
- Add more seeds and nuts.
- Want to make it faster? Use your food processor (affiliate link) to chop all the vegetables finely.
- Want to make it more substantial? Add cooked grains (quinoa, brown rice, farro, millet), legumes, or tofu.
- Want to add more powerful detox ingredients? Using a Microplane (affiliate link) grater, grate one garlic clove and a small piece of ginger into the dressing. Taste and adjust the dressing seasoning before using it.
- Make individual salads to go by preparing them in Mason jars. Add the dressing to the jar’s bottom, and then add the clean and chopped vegetables. Close tightly with the lid and store in the fridge until ready to go.
Frequently asked questions
My favorite crunchy detox salad
- Salad bowl
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- pinch salt
My favorite crunchy detox salad
- 3 large handfuls of kale
- 1 red, orange or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 small apple, diced
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 3 scallions, clean and sliced
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds raw or toasted
- To make the dressing mix all the ingredients in a bowl, taste. Adjust if necessary, that it looks good on you.
- Chop all the vegetables and put them in a salad bowl.
- Put the dressing little by little on the vegetables, mix and add the sesame seeds.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- Mouthwatering Vegan Lettuce Taco wraps - March 23, 2023
- Apple Reuben sandwich - March 23, 2023
- How to Make Your Own Delicious Basil Dressing for Salads - March 22, 2023