This melon agua fresca or agua de melon is one of my favorite Mexican agua frescas next to the agua de jamaica. Cantaloupe calories are very low, and it is naturally sweet, so this agua fresca is easy to make, nourishing, and always refreshing.
About agua de melón
Nothing refreshes like a cold glass of agua de melon. The bright colors and sweet aroma of summer are enough to make anyone long for a delicious, refreshing agua fresca. It is fantastic to have on its own or with Mexican food.
About Aguas Frescas
You can make Mexican agua frescas from many different fruits; there is no exact recipe to make them, and they will always turn out well. You can make them with watermelon, strawberry, lemon, papaya, tamarind, etc.; the recipe will always be the same: water, fruit, and sugar.
Take this recipe as a guide and adapt it to your and your family’s tastes.
How to make Melon water
First, find a ripe melon (cantaloupe), peel it, and cut it into large chunks. Don’t throw away the seeds; save them. The seeds give flavor to melon water. Put the melon in the blender with sugar and water when it is peeled.
When blended, pass it through a fine strainer. At this point, I put it in a pitcher and tasted it. If it lacks sugar or water, I’ll adjust it.
Tips and tricks for the best melon agua fresca
- Ripe fruit. The number one rule for making good agua fresca is that the fruit is ripe. The better the fruit, the better the agua fresca will be.
- Lemon. If you want to make it a little more refreshing, add a little lime or lemon juice.
- Vanilla. A dash of vanilla extract makes this water delicious and with a dessert-like taste.
- Horchata. I know it sounds weird, but in Mexico, the paletería, la Michoacana, makes this combination, and it’s delicious. Half a cup of horchata agua fresca and half a cup of agua de melon.
- Mint. You can use mint leaves to decorate or blend a few mint leaves as I did in the mint melon paletas.
Agua fresca recipes that you may like:
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
Melon agua fresca
- 1 ripe melon peeled
- ½ cup cane sugar
- 5 cups water
- Cut the melon in half and peel completely. Save the seeds.
- Put the peeled melon, sugar, water and seeds in the blender jar. Blend until everything is fully integrated.
- Pour into a fine strainer, taste and adjust if necessary. Serve with ice and mint leaves.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.