This Mediterranean make-ahead quinoa salad is the perfect on-the-go vegan salad. It is perfect for taking to work, school, soccer games, on the road, a picnic in the country, or a meal at the beach.
About the make-ahead Mediterranean quinoa salad
Seriously, it’s the easiest and most nutritious takeout meal out there. The best thing is that you can prepare it in a jar or in a silicon bag.
This salad is Mediterranean style because of the ingredients it contains. It has hummus, quinoa, tomatoes, and cucumber. But, the best thing is that you can use this idea of a make-ahead salad and add the ingredients and the dressing that you want to make it your own.
Ingredients of the salad to go
- Cooked quinoa, if you don’t have quinoa, you can use brown rice
- Cucumber, I like to use English cucumbers or Turkish cucumbers that are almost seedless
- Red Onions or pickled-onions
- Fresh Cherry Tomatoes or roasted-tomatoes for everything.
- Hummus, homemade hummus or purchased.
- Toasted pita in pieces or croutons of homemade bread
How to make the to-go quinoa salad
First, put a layer of quinoa in the bottom of your container, then put a layer of sliced cucumber, then a layer of onion and the tomatoes.
At this point, you can dress the vegetables with lemon juice and olive oil or use a simple vinaigrette. Top with the hummus and toasted bread or pita. It is important that the bread is up to the top so that it does not become watery.
Tips & tricks
- Do not mix the salad, mix until before eating it.
- The idea of putting the quinoa on the bottom is so that it absorbs the liquid and flavor of the rest of the ingredients.
- Another idea is to put all the chopped vegetables in cubes and put them in the same order but in a bag. When it’s time to eat, shake the bag from side to side to mix the ingredients.
- Prepare this salad to go as you like, with your favorite ingredients.
Other ideas that you may like:
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
Mediterranean make-ahead quinoa salad
- 4 jars
- 2 cups of cooked quinoa
- 1 thinly sliced cucumber
- 1/4 red onion sliced as thin as you can
- 1 cup sliced tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons hummus
- 2 diced toasted pita
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- Divide the cooked quinoa among the four jars.
- In each jar, put a layer of cucumber slices, then a layer of red onion, and finally a layer of sliced tomatoes.
- Finish the salad with a drizzle of olive oil, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt.
- Top with a spoonful of hummus on top and finish with toasted pita pieces.
- Cover and the salad is ready to go.
The idea of putting the quinoa on the bottom is so that it absorbs the liquid and flavor of the rest of the ingredients.
Another idea is to put all the chopped vegetables in cubes and put it in the same order but in a bag. When it’s time to eat, shake the bag from side to side to mix the ingredients.
Prepare this salad to go as you like, with your favorite ingredients.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Esta receta apareció por primera vez en abril 2017.