Sometimes preparing lunch can be challenging, but I have developed a few tricks and recipes, such as zucchini grilled sandwiches, that everyone adores and make me happy.
About this recipe
This delightful and nutritious spin on a traditional grilled cheese sandwich is a guaranteed hit with kids and parents alike. Bursting with oozy cheese and snuck-in veggies, our Zucchini Grilled Cheese Sandwich recipe is an adventure in every bite.
Grilled cheese zucchini sandwich ingredients
- Grate the zucchini and squeeze out all the liquid.
- Shredded vegan cheese, mozzarella or cheddar
- Basil, fresh is best.
- Dijon mustard
- Sandwich bread, sliced
- Vegan butter or olive oil
health benefits OF zucchini?
In fact, YES. Zucchini is full of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Zucchini is also packed with fiber and is relatively low in calories. It is even a great source of potassium.
how to make the sandwich with zucchini
Grate the zucchini with a grater box and place over an old kitchen towel. Sprinkle the salt and let it rest for 15 minutes.
Squeeze the liquid out and put the dry zucchini in a clean bowl. Mix the zucchini with the cheese and basil.
To make the sandwich, spread dijon on the top half, add 1/2 cup of cheese and zucchini mix, then place the top half on.
Place a skillet on medium-high heat and the olive oil or butter, and place the sandwich. Toast on both sides until cheese is melted.
tips on Grilling the sandwich
With a panini press. A panini press machine can make a difference for this and any other sandwich. Be sure to butter both outer sides of the sandwich or prepare your press by oiling the irons.
Without a panini press. Place a large heavy skillet or a non-stick pan on the stove over medium heat. Butter the outside of your sandwich or add a bit of oil to the pan to prevent the sandwich from sticking and to give it a nice, crispy finish.
Take a slightly smaller skillet or pan and press it down on top of the sandwich to flatten it. To add extra weight and press the sandwich even more, you can add a heavy item, like a can of food or a smaller pan.
Turn the sandwich over carefully with a spatula, and repeat the pressing process for the other side. Once both sides are crispy and the cheese inside is melted, remove the sandwich from the pan. Let it cool for a minute or two, then slice and serve!
Tips and ideas
- I use vegan mozzarella cheese; you could use vegan cheddar cheese or pepper jack.
- Add sliced tomato to the sandwich, and it will have like a pizza-flavor-vibe.
- Switch up the condiments, use pesto, chipotle or kimchi mayo, or cherry roasted tomatoes.
Other zucchini ideas you may love
- Zucchini noodles with roasted tomatoes
- Zucchini soup with B12
- Zuchhini chocoalte muffins
- Zucchini carpaccio
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
Zucchini grilled cheese
- Box grater
- Cast pan iron
- Old kitchen towel
- 1 cup grated zucchini drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded vegan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced basil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 8 slices sandwich bread
- 1 teaspoon vegan butter or olive oil
- Grate the zucchini with a grater box and place over an old kitchen towel. Sprinkle the salt and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Squeeze moisture out and put the dry zucchini in a clean bowl.
- Mix the zucchini with the cheese and basil.
- To make the sandwich, spread Dijon mustard on the top half, add around 1/2 cup of the cheese and zucchini mixture, and then place the top half on.
- Place a skillet on medium-high heat and the olive oil or butter, and place the sandwich. Toast on both sides until cheese is melted.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.