Looking for a quick and tasty vegan meal? Try these sloppy joes!
About this recipe
This version of the classic American sandwich is made with plant-based and nutritious ingredients, making it a delicious and healthy option for any meal.
Whether you’re an experienced vegan or just trying to add more plant-based foods to your diet, these vegan sloppy joes are sure to be a hit! So grab a napkin and get ready to savor a mouthwatering meal that’s both filling and nutritious!
What are sloppy joes?
Sloppy Joes are a popular American sandwich made with ground beef, onions, tomato sauce, and seasonings, served on a hamburger bun or roll.
The mixture is typically slightly sweet and tangy with a loose or sloppy consistency, which is where the dish gets its name. Sloppy Joes are a popular American meal often served at schools, picnics, and casual restaurants.
Ground meat, such as turkey, chicken, or pork, can be used in various ways to make meatballs. Plant-based protein substitutes can be used to make vegetarian or vegan meatballs.
ingredients to make vegan sloppy joes
- Onion, celery, and green bell pepper. Preparing the sandwich’s flavor is a crucial step. Heat some oil over medium heat and add all the ingredients to cook. You can enhance the taste of each vegetable by adding a pinch of salt. Additionally, you could also include garlic if you prefer.
- Chili powder and sugar. To enhance the flavor of your vegetables, add chili powder and a teaspoon of sugar once they have been well-seasoned. You can use any type of chili powder you prefer, such as ancho chili, chipotle chili, or chili powder mix. When it comes to sugar, I usually opt for vegan cane sugar . However, it’s important to read the labels carefully, even when purchasing sugar, to ensure it meets your dietary requirements.
- Diced tomato or tomato puree. In this recipe, it is important to use canned tomatoes instead of fresh ones. Canned tomatoes are already cooked and prepared in a way that concentrates the flavors.
- Lentils crimson, green, or black lentils work perfectly here. It is crucial that the pasta maintains its shape when being cooked.
Lentils are an essential source of iron, vitamins, and minerals. They have lots of fiber and vitamin B, and they are delicious and ready in a blink.
How to make vegan sloppy joes
- First make the sandwich lentil filling with tomato, pepper, onion, celery, and spices. Let the sloppy mixture simmer until delicious.
- Second, prepare the hamburger buns.
- Third, finish the lentil sloppy joe sandwich as you wish, with avocado and jalapeño slices or queso.
Frequently asked questions
While this sandwich may lack a touch of elegance, it's no wonder they named it 'Sloppy Joe'. Each bite is delightfully messy, with the filling playfully spilling everywhere. It's utterly delicious, but perhaps not the best choice for a first date.
Other recipes that you may like:
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
Vegan Sloppy Joes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 stalks of celery chopped
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper a medium one
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- 1 cup tomato puree or diced canned tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 6 hamburger buns
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 jalapeño, sliced
- In a skillet, sauté onions, celery, and bell pepper in oil. Add chili powder and sugar once onions are translucent.
- Add the lentils, puree, red wine vinegar and a pinch of salt.
- Leave it until the sauce starts to boil and thickens slightly.
- To serve, put one or two tablespoons of lentils on each bun. Top with sliced avocado and jalapeño.
How to store vegan sloppy joes?To store vegan sloppy joes, first, allow them to cool to room temperature. Once cooled, transfer the sloppy joe mixture to an airtight container or a zip-top bag, and store it in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. Or in the freezer for up to three months. It is important not to store with the bread.
How to reheat the vegan sloppy joe mix?You can reheat the sloppy joes by microwaving or reheating them on the stovetop. To reheat in the microwave, transfer to a microwave-safe dish, cover it with a microwave-safe lid or plastic wrap, and microwave on high for 1-2 minutes or until heated through. To reheat on the stovetop, transfer the mixture to a skillet or saucepan and heat it over medium heat, occasionally stirring, until heated through. You may need to add a little water or vegetable broth to the mixture to prevent it from drying out. It’s important to note that the texture of the sloppy joes may change slightly after being stored, but they should still be safe to eat as long as they are properly stored and reheated.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.