This vegan French onion soup is to die for; it is easy, delicious, and comforting. This is the classic French recipe but made in a 100% plant-based way version.
French onion soup is one of my favorite soups of all time. I love the flavor; the sliced onions and stewed until they are caramelized. And then all covered with a toast and gratin cheese, really the best. And now, with all the vegan cheese options, we can do it without a problem. If you want, you can make it vegetarian and use regular cheese.
INGREDIENTS OF VEGAN ONION SOUP
- Onion. Use the onions that you prefer or have at home. You can combine or use all of the same types. When choosing onions, make sure that they are firm, that they are well-formed and that the shell that protects them is not broken.
- Olive oil and butter (I use the Miyoko’s brand).
- Bay leaves and thyme, like all the spices you use, look for fresh spices, that when you open the jar or the bag, your entire space will be filled with their aroma.
- Vegetable broth (affiliate link), homemade, or purchased. If you buy it, look for the best one, choose one that has nothing but vegetables.
- Baguette bread
- Cheese, I use vegan. Use the brand and type that you like the most, shredded, or sliced.
DIFFERENT WAYS TO PREPARE IT
- Without oil. If you are on an oil-free diet, you can sauté the onion in vegetable broth (affiliate link). The way to do it is to put the onion over medium heat with a quarter cup of broth. Leave the onion until it is caramelized, and the broth evaporates. This method can be used for any recipe.
- For the cheesy bread.
- One way is to serve the soup in oven proof bowls, top with sliced or diced baguette, and then top with shredded or sliced cheese. Place the bowls in the oven or broiler until the cheese melts.
- Another is to put the bread with grated or sliced cheese at the bottom of the bowl and serve the hot soup on top.
- The last is to put the slices of bread with cheese in the oven to melt and get the sliced bread toasted. Then serve the soup and top it with the slice of bread with melted cheese
- Freezes very well. An important tip is that this vegan onion soup can be frozen. The day you prepare it, prepare twice as much and thus freeze a portion. You can freeze in individual portions so that you only get what you need.
- Add red wine to it. If you want a little stronger flavors and/or want to use this soup for a romantic dinner, add red wine to the already caramelized onions before adding the broth and water.
✎Vegan cheese brands that I use✎ • Violife • Parmela's Creamery • Myoko's • Follow Your Heart
Other recipes that you may like
So here is the recipe for this vegan onion soup that is very, very good and if you like it, please share the blog with everyone so that everyone can see that we vegans eat deliciously. After preparing it, please share a photo on Instagram, FB so I can see it. You can also save the recipe for later on Pinterest.
Vegan French onion soup
- Soup pot
- 2 large onions thinly sliced (I used yellow and red)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 whole garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 6 slices of baguette bread or any other French bread
- 6 slices vegan cheese
- fresh chopped parsley
- In a large saucepan add the olive oil and butter and set over medium heat. When the butter melts, add the onion, let them caramelize for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the bay leaf, thyme, salt, garlic, vegetable broth, and water. Cover and leave on low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, turn the oven to the broiler function. Place the bread slices on a baking sheet, put a slice of cheese on top of each piece, and put it under the broiler for 3-5 minutes.
- To serve, serve the soup in a bowl and top each one of them with a piece of bread with melted cheese. Sprinkle with the chopped fresh parsley.
- Serve immediately.
- To make the oil-less version, set a soup pot over medium heat, and when it is hot add a quarter cup of vegetable broth and add the onion and caramelize as you normally do.
- If you feel that it lacks umami flavor you can add a tablespoon of soy sauce.
- You can use pure vegetable broth instead of the combined water broth
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- Coconut Mango Chia Seed Pudding Recipe (Easy, Delicious, And Vegan) - March 31, 2023
- Prosecco - March 29, 2023
- Aperol Spritz, be summer ready - March 29, 2023