This recipe for chile relleno vegan in puff pastry is going to become your go-to stuffed poblano pepper recipe. It is a vegetarian or vegan dish, depending on your ingredients, that can be served for lunch or dinner.
This chile is easy to make, baked, not fried, and a bit healthier than the traditional chile relleno recipe.
What is a poblano chile relleno wrapped in puff pastry?
It is a roasted, peeled, and stuffed poblano pepper that is then wrapped in puff pastry. It goes into the oven, and the puff pastry gets crispy, golden, and delicious.
- Brown rice, white rice, or quinoa
- Grated vegan cheese, use your favorite brand, but look for one that melts and has great flavor.
- Pecans or walnuts
- Puff pastry; look for one that is vegan. Believe it or not, most of the puff pastries sold in supermarkets are vegan; they are made with vegetable oil and not butter.
HOW TO MAKE baked chiles Rellenos IN Puff Pastry?
First, roast the chile poblano in the oven, on a comal, or in a skillet on the stove. When they are fully roasted on both sides, peel them, it is not necessary, though.
Open the chiles with a small knife on one side only, being very careful not to reach the other side. The idea is to make a bag of chili to fill later.
Mix the rice with the cheese and the chopped nuts. Add a pinch of salt and carefully stuff the chiles. Roll out the puff pastry and cut it into six pieces. Put one chili relleno on each piece and wrap it with the pastry; close tightly by pinching the puff pastry between your fingers.
Put on a baking sheet and bake until golden and delicious. If you want to brush the puff pastry before putting them in the oven, you can do it with coconut oil or soy milk.
Tips & tricks
- Loosely flour the surface where you’re going to roll the puff pastry.
- Cut the dough into rectangles or triangles, it is easier to cover the chiles, and there is no excess puff pastry left.
- When you make this vegan chiles rellenos recipe, you don’t need to close the poblano pepper with a toothpick.
- Look for a cheese that melts so that the flavors of the filling integrate and it is delicious.
- These oven chiles rellenos
what to serve with them
Other recipes that you may like:
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
Puff pastry chiles rellenos (vegan)
- 4 to 6 medium poblano peppers
- 1½ cup brown rice, cooked
- 1 cup vegan mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- salt to taste
- 400 g puff pastry
- all-purpose flour the necessary
- soy milk or coconut oil fro brushing to make it eggless
- Roast the chiles in the oven or on the stove, peel and devein carefully making a thin slit in the middle.
- Mix the rice, with the grated cheese and the chopped walnut. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Stretch the puff pastry and cut depending on the number of chilis you have. You can cut into triangles or rectangles.
- Put a chile relleno in the center of each piece and wrap the chile. With your fingers, join the dough so that they are completely sealed.
- Brush with coconut oil or soy milk.
- Bake for 20 minutes at a temperature of 350ºF (180ºC)
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.