This citrus salad recipe with lettuce and walnut dressing will make a great addition to your dinner menu during this cold winter! Try it out today!
About this winter salad
Winter is the best season for citrus fruits, and combining them in a salad is the most delicious dish ever. I love the combinations of colors, textures, and flavors. I made the salad with orange, grapefruit, romaine lettuce, and a walnut dressing.
You can try it with kale, arugula, or spinach.
How to cut and peel citrus
Cut off both ends of each fruit. Slice a thin piece from both lots of each fruit to sit flat on your cutting board. Then, make several thin slices down the side of each citrus fruit, creating an X pattern and removing as much skin as possible while keeping as much of it intact as possible.
Use a pairing knife to remove each segment by cutting down on both sides of its membrane; the part should pop right out. Repeat until all the skin is off. You could cut from top to bottom with a sharp knife following the fruit’s contour.
Benefits of eating citrus fruits
The nutritional benefits that citrus fruits have are impressive. Vitamin C, vitamin A, potassium, and high calcium content (I know, I could have never imagined it!), and vitamin B1. I could write on and on about them because they have so many benefits.
How to make the vinaigrette
The dressing is the simplest thing in the world and only has FOUR ingredients. You must combine all the ingredients and mix them to make the dressing. I use shallots a lot in the sauces because their flavor is something between onion and garlic, or at least according to me. And it’s delicious.
Shallots are from the same family as onion and garlic and pair nicely with lettuce and greens. I love to add them to my simple vinaigrette from time to time instead of garlic and in many other recipes.
How to make the salad
First, lay a bed of lettuce or any other green on a platter, then add the different citrus segments. Then drizzle the vinaigrette over it. Eat immediately!
Give this recipe a twist
- You could add sliced avocados
- Thinly sliced fennel or celery
- Finish with fresh herbs such as dill, mint, parsley, or basil.
- Change the dressing and use pistachios or pecans instead of walnuts.
Other recipes that you may like:
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow me on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
WINTER CITRUS SALAD
- 1 grapefruit ; peeled and segmented
- 2 oranges ; peeled and segmented
- 3 romaine hearts washed and torn into large pieces
- 2-3 tablespoons of finely chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon of shallots
- 2 tablespoons of white wine or champagne vinegar
- 4-6 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- pinch of sea salt
- To make the vinaigrette, mix all the ingredients. Taste for seasoning.
- Arrange the lettuce pieces on a large platter.
- Put the pieces of orange and grapefruit on top. Finish with the salad with a drizzle of the vinaigrette.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- the best, best prosecco mimosa - April 1, 2023
- Roastedtomatillo chipotle salsa - March 31, 2023
- Coconut Mango Chia Seed Pudding Recipe (Easy, Delicious, And Vegan) - March 31, 2023