This spicy watermelon basil salad is one of my favorite recipes.
Have you ever tried watermelon in a salad or prepared like this with chile and onion? This is a vegan watermelon salad, and you can have it ready in 15 minutes or less.
BENEFITS OF WATERMELON
One cup of diced watermelon has less than 45 calories. It is delicious, fresh, and super juicy. Packed with vitamins C, A, and B. It has tons of minerals and is perfect for rehydrating us on hot days. Watermelon can also help reduce muscle soreness after exercising, among many other benefits.
Why WILL you LIKE THIS spicy WATERMELON basil SALAD?
The flavors of this salad will blow your mind. This is a straightforward salad that goes perfect on any summer menu and it is perfect as a side dish or appetizer.
This salad is perfect with a cold pasta salad, burgers, or food with Mediterranean flavors like falafels or a green bean salad.
And look, if you aren’t down to eat this salad yet, you should try eating watermelon topped with a pinch of salt, then you slowly add up the other ingredients. Like lemon and salt, you take small steps until you’re ready to try this watermelon salad.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE WATERMELON SALAD with basil
- Watermelon, find a watermelon that is just right. You can use red watermelon or yellow watermelon; a combination of the two is also amazing in color and taste.
- Red onion, thinly sliced. If you feel that the onion has a strong bite, you can soak it in iced water; this removes the spicy taste and makes it crunchier.
- Serrano chili, thinly sliced if you want it to be less spicy, substitute for jalapeños or remove the veins and seeds from the chili.
- Fresh Basil, julienned. You can substitute with fresh mint leaves or cilantro.
- Lemon or lime juice
- Olive oil
- Sea salt or kosher salt
- Almonds (affiliate link). Substitute with cashews (affiliate link) or pumpkin seeds.
HOW TO MAKE THIS spicy WATERMELON basil salad?
- Cut the watermelon into large cubes, then the chili and onion into slices, and chiffonade the basil into thin strips.
- Toast the almonds (affiliate link) with a bit of olive oil.
- Mix the olive oil and lemon juice, and season with salt.
- In a large salad bowl (affiliate link), carefully mix all the ingredients and drizzle with the lime-olive oil mix.
give this recipe a twist
- Add thinly sliced cucumbers to the spicy watermelon salad
- Finish with crumbled feta cheese, I use vegan feta.
- For an extra citrusy bite add lemon or lime zest.
Other recipes that you may like:
Spicy Watermelon Basil salad
- 6 cups of watermelon diced
- 1/4 of red onion thinly sliced
- 1 serrano chili thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup basil julienned
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- Mix the almonds with one tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Put them in the toaster oven or a pan to roast a bit for about 5 min.
- The almonds are ready when they start to release their aroma. Be careful not to burn them.
- In a small bowl mix the lemon juice and the rest of the olive oil, season with salt.
- In a large bowl mix the watermelon (being careful not to break it), with basil, serrano pepper, and onion.
- Add the lemon and olive oil dressing. Serve and finish it with the roasted almonds and a pinch of salt. Serve immediately.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- Healthy Potato Salad with Pesto Recipe | Easy and Flavorful - May 28, 2023
- QUINOA STUFFED POBLANO PEPPERS, CHILES RELLENOS - May 26, 2023
- TIRAMISU OVERNIGHT OATS (TIRAMISU OVERNIGHT OATS) - May 25, 2023
Loving this salad and plating is out of this world Ale!
Yes! Yes! Yes! Can’t ever get enough watermelon. Love the addition of the almonds too.