Piloncillo syrup is also called miel de panela or miel de caña.
What is piloncillo?
Piloncillo is sugar (piloncillo sugar) in its most natural, pure, stateless processed food and closer to the sugarcane plant. Piloncillo is a 100% Mexican sweetener that can be used to make sauces or cakes, like how you would use syrup or honey.
How do you say piloncillo in English? There is no exact translation, but you pronounce it like this: pee-lon-SEE-yoh. Some people call it Mexican brown sugar.
HOW DOES PILONCILLO TASTE?
The flavor is more complex than brown sugar – it’s delicious, a little smoky, and has notes of coffee, caramel, and even rum.
For me, it’s a flavor that transports me to Mexico, to the village bakeries and the weekend breakfasts of my childhood.
How to make piloncillo syrup?
This Mexican sweet syrup is made by melting the piloncillo in a saucepan with water, and I like to add a cinnamon stick over medium heat. You slowly mix with a spoon or wooden spoon until the piloncillo cone is dissolved.
Tips for making piloncillo syrup faster
If you want to make it faster, grate the piloncillo cone with a box grater or cut it into small pieces.
Favorite ways to use Piloncillo syrup
- In México we use it to sweeten capirotada (Lent dessert), atole, coffee, tea, champurrado and atole.
- When I was young, my mom gave us miel de piloncillo with our pancakes or waffles instead of Maple syrup.
- I love to use it to make salsas. The dried chipotles and piloncillo salsa is one of my favorite recipes ever.
- Some people love to drizzle it over fruit and cheese.
- I love to sweeten my coffee with it; it tastes like cafe de olla (Mexican coffee)
- It also tastes fantastic with hot chocolate.
HOW TO STORE PILONCILLO syrup?
- Store in the refrigerator in a glass jar.
- If it crystallizes, heat it in the microwave or a water bath.
- It can also be stored in the cupboard in a tightly closed container.
- Piloncillo honey lasts up to three months when stored well.
Other recipes that you may like:
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
- 1 pound piloncillo
- 2 cinammon sticks
- 2 cups water
- Add water, piloncillo, and cinnamon to the saucepan and simmer over medium heat until the piloncillo disolves.Stir from time to time with a spoon or wooden spoon.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.