This grapefruit arugula salad with avocado is a refreshing and flavorful combination of bitter arugula and sweet grapefruit; I finished it with a delicious shallot vinaigrette and crunchy sesame seeds.
It’s a great way to add a burst of bright flavor to any meal and is perfect for a light lunch or as a side dish, even on detox days. Whether you’re a fan of grapefruit or just looking for a new twist on a salad, this grapefruit arugula salad is sure to be a hit!
About this recipe
This arugula and grapefruit salad is not only delicious, but it is also an amazing detox. The combination of its ingredients makes it very powerful.
- Arugula. Some call it Rocket, and you can substitute it with kale or spinach.
- Grapefruit. Cut into pieces; it is best to use a fresh grapefruit; substitute with oranges or mandarines.
- Avocado. Use a perfect and creamy avocado, diced or sliced.
- Sesame seeds. I love sesame seeds in this salad but feel free to use other seeds or crunchy nuts to finish it.
Salad dressing ingredients
- White wine or champagne vinegar, any mild vinegar will do
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Agave or maple
How to supreme a grapefruit
To supreme a grapefruit, you’ll need a sharp knife and a cutting board. Start by washing the grapefruit and patting it dry. Then, cut off the top and bottom of the grapefruit so that it has a flat surface on each end.
Stand the grapefruit upright on one of the flat ends, and use your knife to carefully cut off the peel and white pith, following the curve of the fruit as closely as possible.
Once you’ve removed all of the peel and pith, you’ll be left with the grapefruit segments, or “supremes,” and any remaining seeds. To remove the segments, carefully slice between the membranes on either side of each segment, working your way around the grapefruit.
Discard the seeds and membranes, and cut the segments into two or three pieces.
How to make this arugula salad
Mix the chopped shallot with the vinegar, the olive oil, the tablespoon of maple or agave, and the salt. Mix well and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
Put the arugula on a plate on top of the grapefruit cubes and the avocado slices.
Finish by gradually adding the dressing and sprinkling the sesame seeds.
Arugula, also known as Rocket or roquette, is a leafy green vegetable that is rich in nutrients and has a number of potential health benefits. Some of the benefits of arugula include:
- High in nutrients: Arugula is a good source of vitamins A, C, and K, as well as calcium, potassium, and magnesium. It also contains antioxidants and other phytochemicals that may have health benefits.
- It may improve heart health, may have anti-inflammatory effects, and boost bone health.
- Low in calories: Arugula is low in calories, making it a good choice for those trying to lose or maintain a healthy weight.
Grapefruits are a type of citrus fruit known for their tart, slightly bitter flavor and bright pink or yellow color. They are high in nutrients and have a number of potential health benefits. Some of the benefits of grapefruit include the following:
- High in vitamin C: Grapefruits are an excellent source of vitamin C, an essential nutrient that helps support the immune system and keep skin healthy.
- It may lower cholesterol levels, aid in weight loss, and may have cancer-fighting properties; grapefruit fiber can help improve digestion and prevent constipation.
Frequently asked questions
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
ARUGULA AND GRAPEFRUIT SALAD
- Salad bowl
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon white wine or champagne vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon agave or maple syrup
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 handfuls arugula
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 avocado
- 1 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds
- Mix the chopped shallot with the vinegar, the olive oil, the tablespoon of maple or agave syrup and the salt. Mix well and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Put the arugula on a plate on top of the cubed grapefruit and the avocado slices.
- Finish by gradually adding the dressing and sprinkling the sesame seeds.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.