What are plátanos con leche condensada?
Mexican plantains with condensed milk, also known as “plátanos con leche condensada” in Spanish, are a traditional sweet dish made with ripe fried plantains and topped with sweetened condensed milk.
Sweet plantains are often sliced and served as a dessert or sweet snack. Some people finish them with ground cinnamon, and others with strawberry jam. It is a typical dish from Mexico and Central America.
This is my vegan version of the typical Mexican desert, which is lighter and healthier.
ingredients for the plantain dessert
- Large and ripe plantains.
- Vegetable oil
- Coconut condensed milk, vegan condensed milk
Strawberry chia jam
- Strawberries hulled and stemmed
- Chia seeds
How to make plantains with condensed milk
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. You could also bake, or air fry them.
- Once the oil is hot, add the plantain slices to the pan and fry until golden brown and tender, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove the plantains from the oil and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil.
- Place the plantains on a serving plate and top them with vegan condensed milk.
- Serve and enjoy your plantains while they are still warm.
Tips for the sweet plantains
Choose ripe plantains: They are sweeter and softer, making them perfect for frying or baking. They will have black or brown spots on the skin.
Peel the plantains carefully: Plantains have a thick skin that can be difficult to remove. Peel it off carefully. Use a sharp paring knife to cut off the ends, then make a lengthwise slit through the skin.
Cut the plantains into the desired shape: Plantains can be cut into slices, chunks, or halved.
Fry, air fry, or bake: Plantains can be fried in oil until golden brown and crispy or baked in the oven.
Other recipes that you may like:
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
Plantains with condensed milk and strawberry chia jam
- Frying pan
- 3 large ripe plantains
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1- 14 oz coconut condensed milk vegan condennsed milk
- Strawberry chia jam
- Add the strawberries, chia seeds, vanilla, sugar, and water to a saucer and cook over low heat for 10 to 15 min. Mix frequently. The jam will thicken slowly. When you see the bottom of the pan, turn it off, set aside, and let it cool completely.
- Peel the plantains and cut them in half from top to bottom. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the plantains. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes and flip.
- Serve the plantains on a platter, drizzle with condensed milk and finish with some spoonfuls of strawberry chia jam.
- Plantains with chia strawberry jam
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
This recipe was created in partnership with California Strawberry Commission in June 2020.