I love a good salad with texture and tons of flavor. This vegan farro salad with navy beans, kale, and citrusy vinaigrette is a complete dream. You can have it for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
What is farro?
Farro is an ancient whole wheat grain packed with tons of protein. It kind of looks like barely, but the grain is larger.
It has a nutty flavor and chewy texture, which makes it perfect and delicious for salads, soups, and stews.
Farro is very easy to find as well; you should be able to find it next to the rice and other grains in your grocery store.
How to cook farro?
I like to cook farro like pasta. I boil a big pot of water with a good pinch of salt and then I add my farro. Let the farro cook for 20-25 minutes. Take one or two grains out and taste.
It should be tender but ist should hold its shape. When cooked, drain and rinse with cold water.
You could also cook you farro in an instant pot.
Ingredients for the VEgan farro salad
- Orange vinaigrette. Orange (juice and zest), apple cider vinegar, garlic, dijon mustard, salt, maple syrup and good olive oil.
- Kale, prep your kale by washing and separating the leaves from the stems. You could sub with other greens like spinach.
- Pomegranate seeds
- Navy beans, drain and rinse if you use canned beans. Substitute with lentils or fava beans.
- Farro, you could also make this vegan grain salad with brown rice or pasta.
- Apple, I like to use a mandoline to thinly slice my apples .
How to make the farro salad
First make you vinaigrett. You could prepare it in your salad bowl or you could make it in a jar. This dressing recipe is exactly what you need to dress the farro salad.
Add the the kale to the bowl and mik with the dressing. Add the farro, mix and finish with the pomegranate seeds and the sliced apple.
Tip& other ideas
- Use barely or brown rice instead of farro
- Substiturte the orange vinagrette with any other dressing or with a simple vinaigrette.
- Finish with fresh herbs like mint or basil
- Add nuts to the salad to make it heartier.
- If the orange juice is too sweet skip the maple syrup in the dressing. If it is too sour add a bit more.
Other recipes that you may like:
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
Farro, kale and navy beans salad with orange vinaigrette
- Salad bowl
- 1 orange about 1/2 -1/3 cup of juice, juice and zest
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove pressed
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- pinch of salt
- 9 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 3 or 4 handfuls kale
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 can navy beans rinse and drain if needed
- 2 cups cooked farro
- 1/2 apple thinly sliced
- In a medium bowl mix the orange juice, zest of orange, apple cider vinegar, the garlic, dijon mustard, a pinch of salt, olive oil and maple syrup. Mix well.
- In a bowl add the kale, farro and beans. Dress slowly with the vinaigrette.
- Finish it up with the pomegranate seeds.
- Adjust the maple syrup if the orange juice is too sweet or too sour.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.